Started by midwayfair, January 19, 2018, 09:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: mjg on January 26, 2019, 01:11:47 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 26, 2019, 09:29:47 AM
Quote from: jjjimi84 on January 26, 2019, 08:39:09 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 26, 2019, 04:59:56 AM
Quote from: mjg on January 26, 2019, 02:06:07 AM
Wow, it's been almost a year since anyone posted to this thread?

I've spent the last week binge reading the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

If you like fantasy, this is a really good series.  Amazing world, realistic characters, and well written.  The first bit of the 2nd book was a bit slow, but the third book more than made up for it.

I'll have to check it out.

I finally decided to dig in an read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.  I'm currently on book 6.  I should finish the series sometime around April.

April of 2023?

Isnt there like twenty or so books in that series, I remember wanting to start reading that in high school and at that point there was an alarming amount ofbooks. Thatwas over fifteen years ago when i had long hair.

Yeah, maybe not April.  I plan on finishing book 6 of 14 this weekend.  I believe I started reading them in November.  May or June is probably more realistic as most are 800-1000 pages.

From memory, I found book 6 or 7 really slow going...or maybe it was book 8.  When Brandon Sanderson took over to finish the last few books, things really picked up. 

I wouldn't be terribly upset if GRRM let Brandon Sanderson finish the Game of Thrones books.  At least they would be done.

Im guessing it was indeed book 6 you found slow.  I thought 7 and 8 went fairly quickly.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

My sister has started reading the Wheel of Time series. (It means she stops bugging me for a good while on what book from the shelf to pick next.)

Apparently, she really doesn't like Matrim Cauthon -- she thinks that he's childish and annoying.

Well, I retort, Egwene and all the other women around him are condescending, high-handed, and patronizing. "Don't forget to put your socks and shoes on before you go out, Mat! You know you'll forget!", and if I was surrounded by women like that, then I'd be an annoying little shit, too.

But all the women in WoT are like that!, my sister cries.

Doesn't change my position.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Read Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao recently. It's incredibly well written. I (spoilers) really kept hoping the title was a lie, though. The ending hurts a lot.

Also reread the Te-Tao Ching, which is as weird as I remember, and The Tao of Pooh, which I don't think has aged well now that I'm older -- I find the author to be judgmental in many of the ways he praises Pooh for not being, and while I still think it's clever to use the Pooh books to explain the concepts of Taoism, Hu's analysis feels like it misses the mark most of the time.

alanp

https://www.amazon.com/Build-Metal-Working-Scrap-Complete/dp/1878087355/ref=pd_ybh_a_sccl_5/139-8757473-1242458?pd_rd_w=jZrUb&pf_rd_p=48b4f440-2099-4e34-afeb-210417d3bf51&pf_rd_r=T4RF464PP43WVFXYN169&pd_rd_r=f1f28cba-4ca3-428d-b825-9176d7a7dfe8&pd_rd_wg=70ubW&pd_rd_i=1878087355&psc=1

Just ordered this. Should be a very entertaining read -- while I'm not really a metal working and welding guy, I enjoy learning things here and there.

I also ordered Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus, while I was at it. Those three are spendy enough for now.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Aentons

I'm a slow reader but I tell myself I absord more that way. I read a handful of books a year and try to mostly read the classics. I typically read at night before bed. I don't care for audio books as I think it's a different experience since it hits my brain thru a different sensory path and I also tend to skip back and forth a bit.

I finished up Borges' Labyrinths not too long ago. Fantastic stuff

Currently reading Manley P Hall's The Secret Teachings of All Ages

My old LOTR book binding went out several years ago and I ditched it. I had been looking for a replacement for it recently and was excited to see a new edition, so I just got a it and the matching Hobbit edition recently. There is a matching Silmarillion (which I have not read) edition coming out soon that I will be getting as well. I guess that will be my next read.

midwayfair

My wife got me every Calvino book I didn't already own last year (mostly short story collections). I've been slowly making my way through a zillion of his short stories but I guess I'll have to dig something else out soon since I'm on the last one.

alanp

Started on Marcus Aurelius, and found a really good quote... "You are meant to stand straight, not to be held straight."
- Terry Pratchett
My website