News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What DC jacks do you use?

Started by blearyeyes, January 25, 2018, 03:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I don't know if it's the cables or the jack I use but I would never gig with the possibility of loosing a pedal during a set. The cheap DC jacks I've been using are a bit loose.

pickdropper

I usually use the real Lumbergs these days (not the Small Bear or Tayda generic versions).  Great DC jacks as long as you don't need the battery connection.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

somnif

My last couple builds I've used these: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/dc-power/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-round-type-panel-mount-1.html

I used the old 1/2" wide jacks, but got annoyed trying to wedge them in some tighter builds. These new guys are smaller, and actually, my biggest problem is the connection is TOO tight. Takes some real force to plug in or take out.

As for how similar/different they are from the real Lumberg version, no clue. At 28 cents I'm willing to experiment with these for a while. If they end up being garbage I'll swap em, but for now they're holding up OK.

pickdropper

Quote from: somnif on January 25, 2018, 06:05:28 PM
My last couple builds I've used these: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/dc-power/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-round-type-panel-mount-1.html

I used the old 1/2" wide jacks, but got annoyed trying to wedge them in some tighter builds. These new guys are smaller, and actually, my biggest problem is the connection is TOO tight. Takes some real force to plug in or take out.

As for how similar/different they are from the real Lumberg version, no clue. At 28 cents I'm willing to experiment with these for a while. If they end up being garbage I'll swap em, but for now they're holding up OK.

I bought a dozen of the Tayda ones and won't use them on a single build.  I was hoping they would be OK for scratch builds, but unfortunately not.
Function f(x)

blearyeyes

gordo

I don't know if they're the real Lumbergs but I like the Thinline 2.1mm DC Power Jack at BLMS.

https://lovemyswitches.com/thinline-2-1mm-dc-power-jack/
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

I've seen one of the cheap ones with the center pin broken off.  Was enough to convince me never to use them.  I'll spend a bit more for that form factor though.  They are very useful and compact.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

I've used the love my switches ones and offbrand ones from arrow with no problems.

pickdropper

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 27, 2018, 08:10:24 PM
Where do you buy the lumbergs?

You can get them from Newark or Arrow.

Newark also has some of their house brand versions which are very similar to the Lumberg ones and they work really well.  It's possible they are even rebranded Lumbergs.  I forgot to check to see if the tooling is the same, but don't have any here right now.
Function f(x)

blearyeyes

Unfortunately I've used the crap ones for a while now and have a bunch of pedals that i want to put on my pedalboard. I'll have to find some replacements that will fit the holes for those and switch over to the Lumbergs. Seems like I'm always several years behind the curve. 

Anyone have any luck with a giant style switching DC socket from anyone? They all look the same to me..?

EBK

Quote from: blearyeyes on January 28, 2018, 01:40:39 PM
Anyone have any luck with a giant style switching DC socket from anyone? They all look the same to me..?
Whatever Smallbear sells for those larger ones has always worked flawlessly for me.  I think he mentions an equivalent on his site....
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

blearyeyes

pickdropper

Quote from: EBK on January 28, 2018, 01:43:03 PM
Quote from: blearyeyes on January 28, 2018, 01:40:39 PM
Whatever Smallbear sells for those larger ones has always worked flawlessly for me.  I think he mentions an equivalent on his site....

You can get Kobiconns in that form factor from Mouser that are good, too.
Function f(x)

gordo

Honestly, I don't recall ever having an issue with any DC jacks.  The BLMS are very snug so no worries about a cable popping out but I've yet to have a DC jack not be worthy.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?