News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Newbie LED Question

Started by mingus1013, February 04, 2018, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mingus1013

Hi -
I've built a few pedals from kits previously, but I'm attempting a more complex build this round - the Choral Reef. This is the first time i'm sourcing my own parts. In the diagrams, it mentions and shows an LED indicator, but it doesn't seem to be listed  on the bill of materials. I'm not sure what I should be looking to purchase (color and specification-wise) , since I don't seem to have any forward voltage guidelines for the component.

PDF for reference:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/VFE/VFE_ChoralReef.pdf

Any thoughts? Thanks!

EBK

Looks like a 5mm green LED in the build docs.  I bet you can pick any color you want, but I'd have to study that schematic a bit more, with all its J1 and J2 stuff, to figure out what resistor to adjust.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

bsoncini

You can use any color you want. There is a trimpots on the switching board that adjusts the brightness.  There is also a 1k resistor to prevent you from frying the led.

mingus1013

Quote from: EBK on February 04, 2018, 11:46:21 AM
Looks like a 5mm green LED in the build docs. 

Thanks! Not to sound daft, but how / where did you see the green LED? I just see reference to the 5mm LED.  Appreciate the help!

mingus1013

Quote from: bsoncini on February 04, 2018, 12:14:02 PM
You can use any color you want. There is a trimpots on the switching board that adjusts the brightness.  There is also a 1k resistor to prevent you from frying the led.

Thanks a lot - Appreciated!

somnif

Quote from: mingus1013 on February 04, 2018, 01:19:31 PM
Thanks! Not to sound daft, but how / where did you see the green LED? I just see reference to the 5mm LED.  Appreciate the help!

Madbean's sample build picture on page 2 of the build doc has a diffuse green LED. That's all he meant.

Personally my 2 choral reefs have a waterclear blue and waterclear white LED for indicators (I swapped a 50k trimmer in to tame the white one, bastard could light up a room)

mingus1013

EBK

Quote from: somnif on February 04, 2018, 01:24:28 PM
Madbean's sample build picture on page 2 of the build doc has a diffuse green LED. That's all he meant.
Yep.  Saw the green one in the pic and the "5mm" on the board.  That's all.  You didn't miss a line in the B.O.M. or anything (you're not crazy  ;)). 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

blearyeyes

Quote from: EBK on February 04, 2018, 03:14:20 PM
Quote from: somnif on February 04, 2018, 01:24:28 PM
Yep.  Saw the green one in the pic and the "5mm" on the board.  That's all.  You didn't miss a line in the B.O.M. or anything (you're not crazy  ;)).

You might be crazy, you build pedals. Watch out for the blue LEDs they can burn an extra hole in your eyeballs while trying to adjust your pedal. I just tested 3mm blue and green and found I liked about 18k for resistance/ brightness with those. Standard is usually 5mm Red with a 4.7k IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mingus1013

Thanks for all the help and validation of my mental state  ;D