News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Oreo is the new goop

Started by matmosphere, January 23, 2019, 08:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Muadzin

Is it any less impractical then throwing lots of goop on it? I reckon this will be a lot harder for the good folks at FSB to degoop. I reckon for a Boss, EHX or Ibanez pedal it would be impractical, as the goal there is to keep costs down. But for a bootweaker? If the Klon had been made this way would we now know how the circuit worked and/or would everybody still be harping on about its mojo? And would old Klons now fetch in the 5 figures on eBay?

pickdropper

Quote from: Muadzin on January 24, 2019, 12:24:43 AM
Is it any less impractical then throwing lots of goop on it? I reckon this will be a lot harder for the good folks at FSB to degoop. I reckon for a Boss, EHX or Ibanez pedal it would be impractical, as the goal there is to keep costs down. But for a bootweaker? If the Klon had been made this way would we now know how the circuit worked and/or would everybody still be harping on about its mojo? And would old Klons now fetch in the 5 figures on eBay?

My guess is that it still could've been reverse engineered.  The question is whether or not a hobbyist would've taken it on.

But, ultimately, this is still a bit of a hacked way of doing.  A 4-8 layer board with embedded caps and resistors would work even better and not require any of this.  It'd be expensive, but time and labor is worth something.

Also, I'm not sure that simply adding capacitance to get around the voltage derating of ceramic caps is how I would do it, either.  Much better to chose caps with plenty of voltage headroom (it is only a 9V circuit we're talking about here) and use C0G/NP0 whenever possible.  For PS caps, just use Tantalum if SMT is needed and voltage derating is a problem.  This whole article feels like a very strange solution to the problem.  Maybe I'm wrong.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

TFZ

Also, you don't have to hide every single component. If a couple stick out of the sandwich, so be it. Doesn't give anything away really.

Leevibe

I wonder how these go with a glass of milk

matmosphere

Quote from: Leevibe on January 24, 2019, 03:52:24 PM
I wonder how these go with a glass of milk

Much better than that weird black blob.