News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

INKSCAPE Questions and Help

Started by jkokura, September 23, 2011, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisM

Got a black background and I have a black image (object) with white text. When I bring this image (object) onto my black background it disappears. How do I bring this image (object) to the front so it can be seen?

jkokura

Up at the top, under the object screen, you can bring forward/send back. Also, using layers can be effective.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ChrisM

Quote from: jkokura on May 19, 2013, 01:14:50 PM
Up at the top, under the object screen, you can bring forward/send back. Also, using layers can be effective.

Jacob
That doesn't seem to be working.

I got two layers. The background is one layer than this black object is on a layer of it's own.

jkokura

If it's on a lower layer, it won't be above. Layers themselves need to be in the right order.

I'm sure you understand that. Also, layers can be hidden - there's a little eye image on the layers panel. Make sure you can see the layer and it's not locked. Layers higher up in the order are above layers lower on the list.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

ChrisM

So I took an image copied it into Inkscape and traced it to bitmap (I think that's what it's called). This image has a bunch of circles in it. I want to fill the inside of these circles with colour. The circles in this image are each individual paths so I imagine this can't be too hard.

How would I go about doing this?
Thanks!

jkokura

You could try tracing the image again, this time inverting the image. Then, you can delete the paths that you don't want from that image, and combine the two (inverted and non-inverted). Then, you can fill in the circle.

There's probably an easier method, but that's the first one that jumps to mind. I remember not being able to do what you're describing as well, and finding some sort of workaround for it.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Pointy

If the circles really are paths, then you can just select them and then pick a "fill" color.  Use the palette at the bottom of the window or the fill/stroke controls (ctrl-shift-F).

edit oh wait - if they're "holes" in a bigger path, then you can try this.  First, make a copy of the outer shape (the thing with holes).  Make a random shape (rectangle or whatever) that's a little bigger than the hole, and make it a path (object to path).  Drop the copy of the original shape over your rectangle, make sure both the shape and the rectangle are selected, and then do a "Difference".  That should leave you with a complete path that's just the "hole".

ChrisM

Path-->Break Apart-->Edit Path(s) by Nodes-->then fill as you like

Thanks guys! You got me thinking

DuctTapeRiot

Stoked you got it figured out! I have found the easiest thing is often to cheat in a way. I would have drawn a new circle using the color you want, and then move it behind the original object. Or another example is when i want to make a "cut" in a border line running around the ouside of a decal for where the In Out and 9VDC labels are i will just make some white rectangles and order the objects (bottom to top: the line -> white rectangle -> text) so that it looks like the line is broken. 

ChrisM

Here's another one I've been trying to figure out. How do I round the corners here? I'd like to increase the radius a bit more.

davent

Chris, If the perimeter line is continuous, a rectangle, double click on the line to enter the Node Edit mode, two corners will show small squares, one corner will show a small circle, grab the small circle and slide it along the side to increase the corner radius.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

ChrisM

Thanks Dave. My rectangle was a path and not an object. I redrew the rectangle as an object, radiused the corners, converted it to a path then did the cutouts I had before.

jkokura

Quote from: ChrisM on October 20, 2013, 01:10:41 PM
Thanks Dave. My rectangle was a path and not an object. I redrew the rectangle as an object, radiused the corners, converted it to a path then did the cutouts I had before.

Yeah, that's about the only way to do it.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

dont-tase-me-bro

I just downloaded inkscape, running OSx Yosemite.  Does anyone remember what you type into X11 after the Bash-3.2$ prompt, to make Inkscape being.  I am stumped.
I thought this would save me money.

dont-tase-me-bro

I thought this would save me money.