News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Advice on solder purchase

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, February 22, 2018, 04:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Gonna get a fresh spool. Am getting 63/37 lead free but, I need advice on rosin type. Which is best for our purposes?

- Rosin
- Rosin activated
- Rosin Mildly Activated
- No Clean
- Water Soluable

Always used what I had on hand or could find in the wild but, I want to get the best bang for my buck here. Advice???

EBK

63/37 is not lead-free.  It is 37% lead, but it is awesome.

I'd recommend Kester 44 (it is an activated rosin core solder).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

Yeah 63/37 means 63% tin, 37% lead.

I personally use Kester No-clean, and it works for 99% of operations. I keep a bottle of their '44 flux around though for the stuff the no-clean just isn't quite tough enough to cut through (really corroded "vintage" parts, for example).

TNblueshawk

If you end up liking the lead free you will be the first one I've heard that likes it. I have read countless stories of bad for soldering. You might want to first get a small amount to test it out and see what you think.
John

Govmnt_Lacky

I went with the Kester 44. 63/37 Rosin Activated as per EBK  8)

Will see how it goes.

EBK

Quote from: TNblueshawk on February 22, 2018, 08:20:06 PM
If you end up liking the lead free you will be the first one I've heard that likes it. I have read countless stories of bad for soldering.
So true!
Lead-free solder eats soldering iron tips, flows like oatmeal, and makes even the best joints look like cold joints.  It takes all of the joy out of soldering.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pickdropper

Good choice.

FWIW, water soluble MUST be cleaned thoroughly or it will eat the board.  Generally not recommend unless specifically needed.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

drezdn

Aside from eating solder tips, I've had good luck with Mudder Activity Solder .6mm. It's mostly tin with a little silver and copper.

Gristlepig

A 1lb spool of Kester 44 rosin core has lasted me a couple years... I think it was $25. Worth it.