Main Menu

Some questions about using Envirotex Lite on a pedal

Started by Philtre, February 24, 2018, 08:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

jimilee

Nicely executed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Philtre

Thanks guys.

I think the hardest part of the process has been trying to find plastic mixing cups with measured marks on them. I ordered some from eBay but they were massive (and flimsy) and went straight in the bin. Still haven't managed to locate any.

Adam_DIY

Looks good Phil.  I buy plastic cups from wilko or B&M they both have cups with lines on them.  I pick up paper plates there too and pour on those so I don't make a mess of my desk.

Philtre

Quote from: Adam_MD on February 28, 2018, 08:06:40 AM
Looks good Phil.  I buy plastic cups from wilko or B&M they both have cups with lines on them.  I pick up paper plates there too and pour on those so I don't make a mess of my desk.

Ah, good tip!

And big thanks to everyone who advised on this, and made it a success! Special shout out to Adam_MD who has offered invaluable advice all along the way here, and on the Fretboard forum.  8)

m-Kresol

Quote from: Philtre on February 28, 2018, 06:27:18 AM
Thanks guys.

I think the hardest part of the process has been trying to find plastic mixing cups with measured marks on them. I ordered some from eBay but they were massive (and flimsy) and went straight in the bin. Still haven't managed to locate any.

I use syringes for measuring. They are cheap, readily available (I assume, I just grab a few from the lab and reuse them) and allow for reliable measuring. Mixing can then be performed in any container you like, such as a used yoghurt cup.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Philtre

Did another pour today. It went well, and I used half the quantity I did last time.

One thing though - I kept an eye on it to make sure no bubbles appeared. Then, after 5 hours, just when the ET was hardening, two quite large bubbles appeared out of nowhere. I gave them a little heat blast with the lighter, which burst the bubbles but now I have two dimples. Strange that bubbles could appear after 5 hours.  :-\

Edit - and then, mysteriously, after 6 hours, another bubble appeared and the ET set hard, encasing it forever.

bcalla

I use cups like these - they're basically disposable drinking cups.

I don't think I ever had bubbles appear so long after a pour.

matmosphere

Leftover plastic syringes forms children's Tylenol works out well. Pharmacist have them too.

Philtre

Update - forget all these plastic cups for measuring Envirotex...

I tried the pouring into two different plastic cups and then into a third cup method and then realised that, with these small amounts of Envirotex,  you lose an unknown amount just pouring from one cup to another. So I bought some cheap plastic spoons and measure out by that into one container. Works great!

Philtre

Quote from: Philtre on March 23, 2018, 01:16:52 PM
Update - forget all these plastic cups for measuring Envirotex...

I tried the pouring into two different plastic cups and then into a third cup method and then realised that, with these small amounts of Envirotex,  you lose an unknown amount just pouring from one cup to another. So I bought some cheap plastic spoons and measure out by that into one container. Works great!

Bugger.

The pour is still tacky after 24 hours. I think it's because I mixed a small quantity of ET and this means more error in measuring out the proportions of resin and hardener.

Anyone know how to remove ET from an enclosure?

m-Kresol

if it's at least partly hardened you can scrape/ripp it off. Get underneath it with a knife and lift it up. this will ruin your graphics (decal) and spraypaint underneath, but I don't know of a better method that would leave the underlying material intact.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 01, 2018, 08:12:04 AM
Quote from: Philtre on February 28, 2018, 06:27:18 AM
Thanks guys.

I use syringes for measuring. They are cheap, readily available (I assume, I just grab a few from the lab and reuse them) and allow for reliable measuring. Mixing can then be performed in any container you like, such as a used yoghurt cup.

I use 10cc syringes for measuring as well.  It's just easier that way.  Mix ratio is important with epoxy, although Envirotex is a bit less sensitive than others I've used.

My process is a bit different:

1.) Drill the holes in the enclosure first. 

2.) Put tape behind the holes before I pour the epoxy so that the top levels and doesn't drip through.

3.) When it's dry to the touch, I peel off the tape from the back and cut out the holes with an exacto knife: no drilling necessary once the epoxy has cured.  I usually cut it the next day as it is dry enough, but not super hard yet.  Make sure to cut top down so that it doesn't pull up the epoxy.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper