Author Topic: Identifying a fuzz tone  (Read 789 times)

somnif

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
Identifying a fuzz tone
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »
So, heard a track on the radio today, and really digging the tone. Dark silky fuzz, layered with a touch of reverb. Unfortunately, can't find a damn thing about his pedal board.

The track:

Sounds like... My Morning Jacket producing a Nick Drake fronted Pink Floyd album. Sorta.

I'm not terribly adept at telling one flavor of fuzz from another, so if anyone has any clues, I'd appreciate it.

thesameage

• Electron Doctor
  • JR
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying a fuzz tone
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 12:30:15 AM »
That is my morning jacket...

Ralfg

• Solder Ninja
  • Ralf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:11:54 AM »
Friend of mine showed me this Ray LaMontange album. It’s a pretty great fuzz tone. I found some comment somewhere, believe it was Ray himself who made the comment, and he said it was a Marshall Supa Fuzz.

I actually built one with some Oc75s and yeah totally nails the tone. Rad sounding fuzz.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

micromegas

• Electron Doctor
  • Adán, but you can call me Al too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:36:04 AM »
I freaking love Ray LaMontagne. Played a couple of songs of one of his oldest albums at a Xmas party this year and got hooked.
My favourite songs of his are from "God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise". I think that album is magnificently produced. Greg Leisz & Eric Heywood lines are just perfect.

The other guitarist in that track is Jim James from My Morning Jacket. He is known for using a ZVEX Wooly Mammoth and it could perfectly be that one you are hearing IMO.

Wether it is Jim or Ray playing that line on that song I don't know
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

somnif

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 01:49:41 PM »
The other guitarist in that track is Jim James from My Morning Jacket.

Looking it up, apparently he produced the album as well. Certainly explains why I thought it sounded very My Morning Jacket-y.

Of the two ideas tossed out so far, I hope its the wooly mammoth over the supafuzz. 2$ in components vs hunting down a matched set of Mullards....  ;D