News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PewpewpewPewser 45 w/ mix and Clipper Ship prototype

Started by midwayfair, July 11, 2012, 04:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Had these basically finished for a little while now, just got around to the paint jobs.

Smoothie with mix pot.

Pew pew pew pew pew! We've been watching a lot of Star Trek (we just finished the run of Voyager tonight, actually, after watching all of TNG and DS9). The art wasn't my idea; it's from a woot shirt that Lexa (that's my wife) has.

I find phasers to be a little extreme; the mix pot makes it much more of a "what is that?" sound.

Also, I ended up with a TON of matched fets if anyone needs a pair ... or even a quad.

Clipper Ship

This is one of my "designs" by which I mean "hacks." It's cascaded boosts with a JFET "charge pump" on the second circuit to provide lots of headroom and clean boost, and it has AMZ's improved Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control. The schematic and layout along with a more thorough explanation are in this post: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5368.msg46399#msg46399

Sounds pretty fat and gets nice and Voxy with the gain cranked. Demo is forthcoming, I just wish I had an amp that I could actually overdrive on hand to give it a proper test drive. My Imperial can just soak up what seems like an infinite amount of input. :)

This is the From Russian With Love version. I ended up with just using two Russian Germanium transistors because, what the hell, I had them and they sounded good once they distorted, better than any silicon transistor I had on hand. (The silicon I used when breadboarding this one, the 4JX whatevers, sounds really nice when clean but got harsh and didn't decay properly when distorted.) I used two D9Es because they had this nice vocal quality in the circuit with the tone rolled off a little. One problem was that I didn't use low profile jacks (they're, um, "edited" neutrik jacks), so I was really short on vertical space, which explains why the transistors are laid out the way they are. I considered swapping out the jacks, but it fits and doesn't short out with the transistors taped, so I'll just leave it how it is.

I was really really happy with how the art came out on this one. It wraps around the sides.

nzCdog

Pew pew pew!  counter strike player here, yay for shoot'em ups!  ;)
Nice pedals jon, i want to try a phase 45 soon 8)

alanp

Counterstrike ha, my brother invited me to a LAN party once -- without telling me that the best CS players in town were going to be in attendance. I was fragbait.

Your paintwork is definitely improving, dude. The box caps work OK in 1590A builds, then?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on July 11, 2012, 06:47:43 AMThe box caps work OK in 1590A builds, then?

For sure, with plenty of room. They're the same height as the Panasonic ECQ-Bs. Just be sure to use low profile jacks or you'll be squeezin'.

nzCdog

jon, you need to get a family shot of all those 1590as!

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm always stoked by the extra mods you include. Also the handpainted aspect.
When I'm ready for a phase 45 I should be hitting you up for some matched JFET's!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

ch1naski

This post is way old,  but would love to hear how the mix pot sounds, Jon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Quote from: ch1naski on March 13, 2013, 10:17:24 PM
This post is way old,  but would love to hear how the mix pot sounds, Jon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Here ya go. :)
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6722.0

ch1naski

one louder.

Rip57

From Wired Magazine...

"Pew Pew! Scientists Build Lasers Out of Sound, Call Them Phasers" at http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/sound-lasers-phasers/

Everybody wants to get in on the act.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

neil463

Super old post that I'm replying to, but wondering how /where you added the Mix knob?

midwayfair

Quote from: neil463 on March 07, 2018, 07:56:30 PM
Super old post that I'm replying to, but wondering how /where you added the Mix knob?

It's a common mod and there are example schematics of it somewhere, but I don't remember exactly where I saw it. You're replacing the 10K that connects to the op amp output and the 10K that "bypasses" the op amps with a pot.