Started by fair.child, March 12, 2018, 11:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This is insane.  And awesome. 

Super cool project. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

fair.child

Should we do YouTube live for demoing this? I think there's a lot information to cover and I know that one video like Peter did probably won't be enough. Earlier I was thinking to create a build process vlog. However, I get sucked up and it never happened. Tons of time to plan, debug, read schematic, ordered parts, etc

reddesert

I really kind of hope that you turn on the pedals one by one and when the last is switched on, it becomes self-aware and turns into Skynet. I hope you didn't give it a laser or anything dangerous.

fair.child

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention. Since I've experienced high frequency attenuation, i have decided to add unicorn buffer in and out.

cooder

Yes it will be exciting to see a youtube video off it when powering up first time and test playing etc and probably burning a hole through the floor and sparks and unicorns and screaming lions and elephant fanfaring....
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

And the appropriate power switch.

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: reddesert on May 28, 2018, 10:49:10 PM
I really kind of hope that you turn on the pedals one by one and when the last is switched on, it becomes self-aware and turns into Skynet. I hope you didn't give it a laser or anything dangerous.

I found this in a box of parts I had.  I don't know where it came from (seriously).

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

Kinda late to the party here, but... Squeee! ;D

fair.child

Ladies and Gentlemen! I'd like to present you the VFE Mega Pedal build

alanp

Beautiful, and my guess is priceless :)

Not to lower the tone, but is the "delete account" an injoke I'm not in on?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

fair.child

Quote from: alanp on June 05, 2018, 10:54:21 PM
Beautiful, and my guess is priceless :)

Not to lower the tone, but is the "delete account" an injoke I'm not in on?

It's not an injoke. Apparently, it was an issue with the imgbb. I just fixed it. All good now.

fair.child

Alright, so quick recap!

1. I sorta fixed the Bumblebee issue. It was with the 2N5457 though I am still waiting for replacement boards from OSHPark and started all over again. I'd highly recommend use 2N5952 for Bumblebee with recommended Vgs from Peter (around 1.4-1.5V). It will produce the longest swell. Mine is 1.12V. I am ordering some 2N5952 for testing later on. Be in my mind that the 1uF doesn't need to be a tantalum, however, the .68uF needs to be a tantalum.

2. Since it's a massive pedal chain, I added Unicorn Buffer Breath for IN and OUT buffer. Adding Buffer for I/O is the best decision I've ever made for this pedal. No more squealing/ high oscillation/ whining from high-frequency attenuation and it does sound way much cleaner.

3. I've added relay bypass from 1776 and again, I am very satisfied with the result. It's way much cleaner and nicer build with it. I daisy chained the Relay bypass using the extra +/- pads. It's very useful.

4. It's a massive build. So far, I have spent more than 100 hours to build this including errors, drawing the artwork, schematic, planning, etc. It's a real pain, challenging, fun, a lot of sweat, tears, desperado, and finally, it's done. A lot of effort understanding the circuit and looking at the schematic. Right now, I am quite familiar with what Peter has done for the majority of VFE product lines. I sort of understand where the idea came from and the inspiration to build a better design. I think this is the most important thing overall.

5. If you're tempted or inspired to build your own, I'd recommend creating the new design of the switching. The switching is the most interesting thing. So far, I have been fun learning PIC/ATMEL stuff. As a reference, you should do 9x2 switching board if you want to daisy chain it. Otherwise, figure out the puzzle of Mega Pedal switching. I know I am little bit cheating by adding the 1776 relays and switch them together without adding the patch bay. But, hey, it's my build and I picked different variances of VFE pedals I might use as one giant pedal. So far, it works for me.

cooder

Sugarcoated rainbows and Unicorns farting like smelly roses....  :o
BigNoise Amplification

Willybomb

Only 100 hours?

Bloody hell....