News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3-D Cad/Model Files of standard pedal hardware?

Started by peAk, February 25, 2014, 03:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

I was thinking today that it would easier to prep for boxing if I could lay everything out in 3-D. Obviously not every single component, I would just do the PCB and the envelope solid of the mounted components, but all the hardware like inputs, pots, dc jack, footswitch, as well as the enclosure.

I don't do a lot of pcb mount stuff because I like the freedom of putting things where I want them and sometimes that depends on the graphics and look I am going for.

Does anyone have any models/parasolids of standard pedal hardware? If not, I could maybe break the calipers out and model some up in SolidWorks or NX and share if anyone is interested? While it may seem tedious, I do this for a living and it would literally take minutes to put one of these assemblies together once you had the standard stuff modeled.

wgc

Diptrace has a library of 3d parts which can be applied to your layout and exported as step assy.  I literally just tried it yesterday on my lunch and pulled into solid works. You can DL Hammond boxes and pull those in too. I may use it to start cnc drilling my boxes.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

mattlee0037

sonarchotic

Power Pop Guy over at BYOC made a pedal builder's vector graphic pack that a lot of guys are using for layouts in Inkscape. Duct Tape Riot over there made a few videos to get people going with it. Not sure if that's what your looking for but you can knock out your graphics and layout with this set-up.
http://www.ontheroadeffects.com/vectorpack/

peAk

sonarchotic, thanks for that. Vector files are great for graphics and 2D layouts and I will definitely use that stuff but I am talking more .igs, .x_t, .step, .prt, etc.

mattlee0037, I have never used google sketchup, will see what it's about. I mainly use Solidworks and NX.

wgs, I will check that out as soon as possible. It sounds promising! Does putting this stuff in an assembly seem to help with enclosure layout?

rullywowr

Here is a pack of 3D models for components.  I use these with DipTrace for 3D modeling of PCBs but I am sure you can use them with other programs as well. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73135424/3D%20models%20Diptrace/3D%20PART.rar

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

wgc

Just tried an assy for enclosure layout on my lunch break, imported file in sw are a pain at times but not too bad.

I haven't bothered in the past due to others awesome work and drill templates.

I think it will be super helpful and I'm looking forward to doing some cnc drilling.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alponxo

hi rullywow, could you reupload 3D models forma diptrace?