News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Postfontaine Overdrive

Started by diablochris6, March 26, 2018, 11:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

I finally got around to putting this together. It's a circuit I designed that is a love letter to the Tubescreamer. It goes through a Klon-style buffer, then on the way to the clipping stage, the mids can be cut or boosted via a gyrator with a switch to switch between corner frequencies. The clipping stage has a rotary for symmetrical, asymmetrical, LED, and MOSFET options before the signal goes into the tone section, which consists of individual gyrators for bass and treble. I feel that this setup allows me to get that TS mid-hump or achieve a different sound altogether.

The board was meant to fit a 125B enclosure, but I miscalculated and have to put it in a 1590BB. The graphic was transferred to the enclosure with acetone. It starts to eat through the powder coat, but I layer of clear spray cleans it up well. I was, let's say, a little too vigorous in putting a knob on the rotary and popped out the ball bearing that clicks the rotary in place. It moves smoothly now, but I have to "dial in" the clipping settings, which isn't that hard.

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

storyboardist

Looks good, Chris! Heard your demo on Instagram too and it sounds good.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Aleph Null

Quote from: diablochris6 on March 26, 2018, 11:12:28 AMI was, let's say, a little too vigorous in putting a knob on the rotary and popped out the ball bearing that clicks the rotary in place. It moves smoothly now, but I have to "dial in" the clipping settings, which isn't that hard.

Sounds like a feature to me! Continuously Variable Clipping Sellection™

jimilee

That's some serious driving going in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

That's awesome! I love the name, too.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

TheDude

I love the enclosure on this!

Mind sharing your instagram name for those of us who want to hear the demo?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The dude abides

diablochris6

My Insta handle is DC6FX. I'll try and make a decent demo by micing my amp soon.

Here's the schematic, if anyone is curious.

diablochris6

alanp

Good to see it wrapped up :) I swear, every time I see that name I'm reminded of Bloemfontein. Where does it come from?

Also, it's a bit simple to be a REAL diablochris6 circuit, innit? ;) :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

diablochris6

Quote from: alanp on April 01, 2018, 03:16:26 AM
Good to see it wrapped up :) I swear, every time I see that name I'm reminded of Bloemfontein. Where does it come from?

Also, it's a bit simple to be a REAL diablochris6 circuit, innit? ;) :)

It's a joke from the "Time Chasers" episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. They were making fun of a guy running by calling him "postfontaine" in reference to American track star Steve Prefontaine. You can't imagine how difficult it was for me to type that sentence. So many questions ran through my head? Do New Zealanders know about MST3K? Does Alan know about US track stars of the 1970s? Was it really worth me naming the circuit after such an obscure reference?

Five knobs and three switches is as simple as I get!  ;D

alanp

I know *OF* MST3K (through internet fanfic doing a similar technique in the 90s, seems to have died off), but hadn't seen any. So the only association I had for "Postfontaine" was South Africa's city, Bloemfontain. And I know as much about US track stars of the 1970s as I do about US news readers of the 1970s, I'm afraid. That is to say, nothing.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Aleph Null

Quote from: diablochris6 on April 01, 2018, 03:41:43 AM
It's a joke from the "Time Chasers" episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. They were making fun of a guy running by calling him "postfontaine" in reference to American track star Steve Prefontaine. You can't imagine how difficult it was for me to type that sentence. So many questions ran through my head? Do New Zealanders know about MST3K? Does Alan know about US track stars of the 1970s? Was it really worth me naming the circuit after such an obscure reference?

Five knobs and three switches is as simple as I get!  ;D

I watched a "Behind the Scenes" or some such about MST3K once. The writers were intentional about making very specific, obscure references. The thinking was that not everyone would get every joke, but when one hit you, you'd be rolling on the floor. I think your pedal name is in keeping with the MST3K ethos.

Leevibe

Nice job. That's a super clever design! I figured the name had to do with Prefontaine but I didn't know about the MST3K link. Haha.