Any reasons not to use a colour laser printer for enclosure artwork

Started by Philtre, March 28, 2018, 03:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philtre

It seems that an Inkjet printer is the preferred type of printer to create artwork for enclosures. Either on water-slide decal paper or sticky vinyl paper. Then cover with Envirotex or clear coat.

But why not use a colour laser printer on white sticky back paper such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheets-Quality-Adhesive-Sticky-Printing/dp/B00W2E5N36 and then cover?

Is perhaps the colour not so vivid? Other reasons?

Adam_DIY

I think it's more that colour inkjet are cheaper to buy and most people already have an inkjet printer. 

Philtre

Colin, I'm thinking about getting a colour laser printer because of the high cost of replacement ink cartridges.

I just bought a Canon ip7250 for £50. The Canon ink cartridges are about £40. When the ink runs out, I could sell the printer for £10 then buy a new one for £50 giving me a brand new printer and replacement cartridges each time!

jimilee

I use a laser printer. The cartridges are more expensive, but so far have lasted 3x longer, I'm still using the ones that it came with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Adam_DIY

I have the same printer Phil and have been using these for over a year with no problems.  You get 4 replacements for each colour in this pack for £12.99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K2XU6FE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Philtre

Quote from: Adam_MD on March 28, 2018, 05:52:07 AM
I have the same printer Phil and have been using these for over a year with no problems.  You get 4 replacements for each colour in this pack for £12.99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K2XU6FE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow, that's a bargain. Do you think the colour is in any way inferior to Canon ink?

Philtre

Quote from: jimilee on March 28, 2018, 05:49:28 AM
I use a laser printer. The cartridges are more expensive, but so far have lasted 3x longer, I'm still using the ones that it came with.

What type of paper do you use, Jimi? I'm thinking of sticky back stuff for enclosures.

jimilee

I use water slide decals. I like the white as opposed to the clear, the colors are more vibrant. I get it off of eBay, as it's nearly impossible to find around here. Sticky back is ok, but you only get one shot at putting it on.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

culturejam

I've used laserjet toner on "fancy" (bonded) paper and then put on a coat of Mod Podge to seal. You can then spray acrylic clear over that if you want to go a step further. Here's an example:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Philtre

Quote from: jimilee on March 28, 2018, 06:32:03 AM
I use water slide decals. I like the white as opposed to the clear, the colors are more vibrant. I get it off of eBay, as it's nearly impossible to find around here. Sticky back is ok, but you only get one shot at putting it on.

And I guess you don't need to coat it before putting it in the water?

jimilee

Quote from: Philtre on March 28, 2018, 06:36:01 AM

Nope, no need to, that was one of the attractions for me.

Philtre

Quote from: jimilee on March 28, 2018, 06:36:56 AM

How adhesive is a water slide decal? If it's covered with Envirotex the whole lot has to be stuck to the enclosure by whatever's on the back of the decal paper.

jimilee

Quote from: Philtre on March 28, 2018, 06:44:06 AM
Quote from: jimilee on March 28, 2018, 06:36:56 AM

How adhesive is a water slide decal? If it's covered with Envirotex the whole lot has to be stuck to the enclosure by whatever's on the back of the decal paper.
It sticks pretty good once it's dried after about 8 hours. I think that's the key, I rushed one once and the decal floated up on the edges. I've done a couple hundred pedals this way, it's just trial and error.

Adam_DIY

Quote from: Philtre on March 28, 2018, 06:02:50 AM
Quote from: Adam_MD on March 28, 2018, 05:52:07 AM

Wow, that's a bargain. Do you think the colour is in any way inferior to Canon ink?

No it's been absolutely fine.  The decals on most of the pedals you've seen me post have been printed with it. 

Philtre

I wonder if it would be possible to print on shiny or satin paper with a colour laser printer and then just glue it to the top of the enclosure? Does the laser ink need to be protected with a clear coat or some kind of lacquer? (I'm looking for simpler alternatives to Envirotex or spraying clear coat on decals).