News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Moodring tone control advice

Started by p_wats, April 03, 2018, 03:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p_wats

Hey guys,

I picked up an old 2014 Moodring board recently and populated it. It sounds great and does some cool things, but I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for the hiss that seems tied to the tone (Mood) control. 

I've socketed C21 and experimented with values (currently using 68nf), but mostly feel inclined to keep the tone control almost all the way down to avoid a prevalent hiss that begins fairly early. The hiss is not present with the tone or Ring controls at low values. It is also still present without a PT2399, so it's not coming from there.

Overall the controls are far more interactive than I'd thought as well (initially I was also asking about the Dwell control, but now hear it thickening the reverb quite a bit depending on the other knobs positions (and T1 trimmer).

That said, I'd still love to lower the hiss if possible. Anyone have any experience with that?

p_wats

I spent some more time with the circuit tonight and read a few dozen more threads. i think I've got things working more to my liking after the following:

-  Changed the Space pot to 25k, as per modern specs

- Socketed C11 & C13 and experimented with values here (which led me to changing C21 back to stock), as per this thread: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=23642.30

- I also tried replacing the tone control with something simpler, like the Tenebrion, but didn't make much difference really, so I left it stock

In any case, the Dwell control is much more apparent with the Space pot at 25K and the new cap values help lower the tone control hiss somewhat.