News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4 vfe fuzzes: Fiery, 5:00, Cocktail, Wooly

Started by Netnnk, April 12, 2018, 08:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netnnk

Using Patreon Eagle files, which are now available directly from them. I'll be using 1590BB enclosures,
so much of my wiring is offboard. All four are built and working well.

Fiery Red Horse – very high gain Big Muff with charge pump offering voltage cut and boost. It has a
clipping pot and bass/treble Baxandall eq.  It's my favorite BMP variant so far for sludgy metal palm
muting – plenty of gain.

5:00 Fuzz – more traditional Big Muff with voltage starve, clipping switch on both stages and midrange
flat/boost/cut switch. It can go from very smooth, to sputtery

Fuzz Cocktail – modded Fender Blender octave fuzz with more tone and clipping controls.  Unlike the
original, this one has no trouble  reaching unity volume

Wooly Bear – modded Foxx Tone Machine octave fuzz. It has a lot more low end than the original and
cleaner signal can be blended in. The octave is a blend pot, instead of an on/off switch.

Although I used germanium diodes throughout, they suggest schottky diodes as suitable replacements. The
Fiery Red Horse was from Osh Park, and the other 3 pcb's were from Elecrow.

somnif

I've been thinking of making a wooly bear. Very first pedal I ever owned was a crappy Danelectro Foxx-clone, and even with nostalgia goggles firmly in place my memories of it aren't spectacular. The circuit itself, however, has merit and I've been wanting one for a while, but never got around to it.

JackSkellington

I would like to have an idea to know something more about the Fiery Red Horse, it includes interesting features.
Is there any chance to know the schematic. :P
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

somnif

Quote from: JackSkellington on April 13, 2018, 01:33:27 AM
I would like to have an idea to know something more about the Fiery Red Horse, it includes interesting features.
Is there any chance to know the schematic. :P

Its roughly based around a Triangle-era-ish Big Muff, with a power-feed knob (adjust the voltage seen by the middle two gain stages), a baxandall tone section, and the ability to fade between silicon and germanium clipping diodes.  There is a schematic, but since its something Peter is selling I don't feel comfortable just posting it here (Its also mostly unlabelled which is admittedly a little annoying) .

JackSkellington

:-[ Ok, I got it.

Thank you, anyway. At least these informations will only keep my curiosity at bay. :P
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

fair.child

For the Fiery Red Horse, it seems you didn't add 4x 1n34a instead you just put 2x 1n34a. I wonder this will impact the dynamic of the clipping itself.