News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hypothetical... to tap tempo or not tap tempo???

Started by Willybomb, April 11, 2018, 06:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

So, I have another stupid pedal idea.  If you had the choice, would you have a delay pedal that had multiple types of delays, or one single style of delay that had tap tempo? 

The correct answer of course is "both", but I want to build 3xFV-1 based pedal and I'm told tap tempo isn't very well implemented in those.  I guess I could use a pt based delay in the build, but I already have 3-4 of those kicking around (2 with TT in multis).

Convince me one way or the other guys!

EBK

Could you elaborate on the first option, "multiple types of delays"?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jkokura

Are you talking about the difference between say, a Timeline which has lots of delays, and an El Capistan which has one type of delay?

I think both have their place, and it really depends on the quality of the delay and the tap tempo. I think you have your answer, because if the tap doesn't work well, the pedal won't be what you want ultimately. However, if you really need a good tap tempo system, perhaps you need to explore something else, and build a good FV-1 Delay that you don't need tap with, but can use because of it's many good sounding delays.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Ralfg

I have a Mr Black Solid State Echo Chamber and it's got a straight forward tap tempo, as in no subdivisions. I did open it up and it looks like the tap is implemented with the fv-1 chip. If I remember correctly I saw 1 fv-1 chip and 2 24LC32A chips in there.  This is off memory from a couple moths ago, but it looked like the tap was hooked up to one chip. It's quite a fun pedal. So it might be possible to get that going.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

diablochris6

I like the aesthetic of a delay without tap tempo because it hearkens back to the days of tape delays and Memory Mans (Men? Mens?) where you turned a knob and found a delay time by ear. I haven't built a tap tempo delay, but I see the value of having one. I use the Line6 Echo Park if I want tap tempo.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

rockola

I have a Behringer Vintage Time Machine, a Boss DD-6, and a Joyo D-Seed. Only the D-Seed has tap tempo, but you have to hit both foot switches at the same time for that. If I had to choose I'd go with multiple delay types over tap tempo, but I can see why someone else would go the other way.

I may well get yet another pedal if I find an affordable one with an easy-to-use tap tempo. Note I said affordable. The three delays I have cost me about 150 Euros for the lot (the DD-6 was used) - I'm not really Strymon's or Eventide's target market.

sonnyboy27

The main benefit I see to tap tempo is easily getting your timing set correctly for multiple songs. So if you've already built that option then build the multi and play around with those.