News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sagan Delay 2.0

Started by diablochris6, April 11, 2018, 08:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

I revisited and refined the Sagan Delay circuit I put together a few years ago. I added an always on preamp boost, improved the clipping and tone shaping section of the circuit, and added an onboard LFO for modulation. Gone are the individual delay volume and time controls, but I can add and subtract the delay signals from each individual PT2399. The effects loop changed a little as well; the two modes are now post feedback loop or within the feedback loop for some out of this world sounds. There are two trimpot controls that are accessible through the small holes on the top, a grit control that controls how much clipping occurs on the repeats and a sway control for some subtle LFO fluctuations. The arcade button lights up when the delay is activated and function as an instant feedback oscillation switch.

I designed the graphic in Inkscape and printed it at FedEx/Kinko's. I applied a thin layer of polyacrylic on the enclosure, laid the graphic on top, and rubbed the paper off with water after it dried. I think I found my new favorite way to apply graphics!

And here is the new build next to the original Sagan circuit. Thanks to the stacked boards, I can fit the new version in a 1590BB Tall and have board mounted pots!

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

kaeisy

Boba7

Wow that looks amazing!!

I would love a demo of it if you have the time! :)

bsoncini

That is sweet. You never ceases to amaze with your designs. Looks like a mini Sagan next to the other one.

Hopefully you'll be putting some boards up for sale in the future.

dan.schumaker

Looks awesome!  You know I'm up for one when you decide to make these available

Martan

That is awesome, Chris! Great work on the revisions. Slightly confused about the graphics applications, though. You printed on regular paper (or glossy)? and sunk it into a coating of polyacrylic? Sounds neat but can't visualize it yet.

Marty

thesmokingman

definitely want a demo ... definitely interested in this project
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jimilee

That's very cool, I love my first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

oip

looks so nice!  great design

is it two separate boards?  i'd be interested in grabbing one also if they are around, got a whole swag of PT2399s sitting in archive mode

Ralfg

Wow nice work!! I'd be down for group buy if you do one.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

JC103

Nice one! What kind of preamp did you do?

diablochris6

Quote from: Martan on April 12, 2018, 05:40:11 AM
That is awesome, Chris! Great work on the revisions. Slightly confused about the graphics applications, though. You printed on regular paper (or glossy)? and sunk it into a coating of polyacrylic? Sounds neat but can't visualize it yet.

Marty

Yes, plain copier paper. Flip your image, print, and lay it face down on the thin polyacrylic layer on the box. This smooth talking puppet should set you straight.

Quote from: oip on April 12, 2018, 04:29:11 PM
looks so nice!  great design

is it two separate boards?  i'd be interested in grabbing one also if they are around, got a whole swag of PT2399s sitting in archive mode

There are two stacked boards connected by female and male connectors. It was the only way to get rid of offboard wiring.

Quote from: JC103 on April 12, 2018, 04:58:01 PM
Nice one! What kind of preamp did you do?

I based the preamp off of the Nocturne Atomic Brain preamp, which is a not quite Roland RE301 preamp, but it does what I want it to. 10 o'clock on the pot is about unity, so things can get pretty loud.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

ahiddentableau

Awesome build, looks great!

I am wondering about one thing though.  Your enclosure looks like a black prefinished type with a roughish surface, similar to the Hammond 1590BBBX--I don't know what the precise word is to describe the texture of the surface, but the Hammond is slightly rough.  Is that right?  If so, when you used that enclosure label technique, did you use it directly on the surface of that enclosure?  Did it require any extra prepping?  Or is the technique just super forgiving?  I have a 1590BBBX and I wouldn't mind trying your method out.