News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Farndurk Stamping

Started by alanp, April 17, 2018, 11:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2809507#2809507

For those who are interested, the gent behind Farndurk has done a post with pictures on how he did his letter stamping for his stompboxes.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

It always looked gorgeous, but seeing how he did it it also looked like a massive amount of work. My hat off to that much attention to detail!

culturejam

From conversations with him, I knew he used an anvil, but I didn't know the other techniques he revealed. Very cool. And waaaaaay to much work for me.  ;D

Also, why the hell doesn't the Muff Wiggler forum have a time stamp on each post? That drives me nuts.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jkokura

It's funny that he says, "I never revealed my secrets before today..."

I distinctly remember him talking about it on the old DIY Stompboxes forums ages ago. Perhaps he just doesn't remember.

In any case, I remember Farndurk pedals being some of the slickest in the earlier days of DIY pedals. His look and ideas were miles ahead of most of us.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Quote from: jkokura on April 18, 2018, 09:55:01 AM
His look and ideas were miles ahead of most of us.

The whole "TonePlug" concept was pretty neat from an end-user standpoint. And it's nigh impossible to say he didn't have the slickest looking pedals around at the time.

matmosphere

WOW. Those are amazing looking. Might have to give this a try

Quote from: culturejam on April 18, 2018, 10:49:30 AM
Quote from: jkokura on April 18, 2018, 09:55:01 AM
His look and ideas were miles ahead of most of us.

The whole "TonePlug" concept was pretty neat from an end-user standpoint. And it's nigh impossible to say he didn't have the slickest looking pedals around at the time.

TonePlug? I haven't been around long enough to encounter that.

culturejam

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 18, 2018, 12:50:16 PM
TonePlug? I haven't been around long enough to encounter that.

He basically took clipping diodes and put them in a 1/4" jack plug. So his pedals had a 1/4" jack so that people could use different clipping diodes. He offered 6 or 7 different types. It was a little gimmicky, but pretty cool. Not really any different from offering a ton of options on a rotary, but it saves space and it's something else you can sell. ;)

reddesert

That's cool - I think the satiny finish does a lot to set the stamps off, though.

Quote from: culturejam on April 18, 2018, 06:16:59 AM
Also, why the hell doesn't the Muff Wiggler forum have a time stamp on each post? That drives me nuts.

Yup. It shows the timestamps along with avatars and such if you log in. I get why some forums might not show avatars or attachments unless you log in, but hiding the timestamps seems extraneous. Probably a mystery phpbb configuration setting.

oip

just build your own anvil!  :o  they are beautiful builds though, the attention to detail on those stamps are glorious.

that whole thread is a bit jaw dropping tbh

cajone5

Personally I can't stand reading his thoughts. He comes off incredibly condescending. He did nice work though.

drezdn

I've had decent results using the small anvil portion on my shop vise, but I've never want to the degree he did to make sure the letters were straight.