News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Modulation Station

Started by jkokura, September 28, 2011, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

This is a biggy. I wish I had used a 1590D instead of the DD, as it was very difficult to wire everything in there properly.

Three circuits: Double Flush Trem > Pork Barrel Chorus > FL301 Flanger (Tonepad). Plus there's a charge pump in there to run the Chorus at 15V and feed the Flanger board 15V which gets regulated down to 12V on board. The theme is cherry blossom, and it's my usual print shop decal over a PPP powder coated enclosure. I haven't signed the inside of it yet, now that I think about it...

The Trem is different than I've experienced before. It's a lot more squarewave than sine, but the fact that you can blend in your dry signal helps to even it out. It doesn't get ridiculously fast or slow either, which I like. The level knob is a must on any trem I've found - Trem with a volume cut is terrible, so you need to boost it up.

The Chorus is lush and pleasant. I think I've noted before that of the mods to the circuit the ones I like best are the clean blend and the wet switch. I don't find that the deep or vibe switches get used much by me. I found real MN3007 chips from some guy in Hong Kong, which is great considering how many fakes have been coming out recently.

The Flanger is a different beast. I can't really cop the 'Barracuda' flanger sounds, but this thing can get really crazy if you let the oscillation get out of hand. It's possible that the Flanger and Chorus cover the same ground at times, but that's cool because you can dial in two different flavours of chorus, or you can get a little bit more crazy with either of them.

The only problem I'm experiencing is with the Flanger - it's a bit noisy, though I was able to get rid of almost all the noise, and it's oscillating when you turn up the regen pot, which I'm not sure how to fix. If anyone has any ideas on how to get it to stop oscillating I'm all ears. The video should be up on Youtube sooner or later.

And the Guts.

Hope you've enjoyed.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

maysink

[nothing to see here]
-e

mjcyates

gtr2

Awesome!  That's a beast of a build  :o

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

chip46

jimmybjj

Wow that's crazy awesome. A very daunting project, I'd be intimated to attempt a project of that magnatude. Great job.
Pcbs no longer available

k.rock!

BEAST! Really nice Jacob...love it. You did great mounting those PCBs on the bottom plate...otherwise would've been a huge mess! haha

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

lloyd17

jprizz

you know, for all that's going on inside that box its pretty darn tidy in there! Looks great.

LaceSensor

Very Lovely indeed. What cable are you using?

Also it might not be to your taste, but oscillations in flangers is sometimes desirable (!)
You could probably sub in a lower value potentiometer on the regen to get rid of it.

nzCdog

Tasty!  Awesome build, as usual!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Very nice, that's a pretty complete mod station. You did a great job with all the wiring, I don't think I could have got it that clean.
The owner is gonna be so happy with it, but I'm sure it came at a nice price  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

First off guys, thanks very much - I work hard at this, and I do it because I really enjoy it, but it's nice that you guys appreciate my skills!

Quote from: jprizz on September 28, 2011, 05:16:09 PM
you know, for all that's going on inside that box its pretty darn tidy in there! Looks great.

Yeah, I work really hard at keeping these fun boxes clean looking. Thing is with this kind of project you HAVE to keep things clean. I was lucky and all three circuits fired up right away with no trouble shooting beyond trying to refine the flanger a bit. If there was a problem and I hadn't kept it neat, it would have amplified the problem by far.

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 28, 2011, 09:25:59 PM
Very Lovely indeed. What cable are you using?

Also it might not be to your taste, but oscillations in flangers is sometimes desirable (!)
You could probably sub in a lower value potentiometer on the regen to get rid of it.

Great suggestions! I'll be looking into those ideas tonight or maybe tomorrow.

By cable do you mean wire? If so, I use pretty normal stranded wire, same as most of us use. I don't know if it's 24 or 22 gauge, but it's nothing special.

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on September 28, 2011, 10:34:10 PM
Very nice, that's a pretty complete mod station. You did a great job with all the wiring, I don't think I could have got it that clean.
The owner is gonna be so happy with it, but I'm sure it came at a nice price  :)

Not cheap no, but compared to owning three separate hand made true bypass mod effects, you'd save money buying from me. Also, don't disparage your skills! I'm sure if you put your mind to it you'd do fine! This isn't the first one I've done, and each one gets better, so keep building and you'll be doing fine.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

raulduke

Lovely professional build mate.

If this is for someone else they are lucky!

I agree about the double flush; more of a square wave than a sine wave. Like you say though it can be balanced out with the mix knob.