News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What to do in Portland, OR

Started by icecycle66, April 25, 2018, 10:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

I'm in Portland this week learning how to build solid body guitars from less than scratch.

I'll have next Sunday and Monday to do stuff in the area.

Any recommendations?

ahiddentableau

Probably not the response you're looking for, but I have to ask: how exactly does one build from "less than scratch"?

Sounds like magic to me!

Seriously, though, what kind of solid(s) are you going to build?

somnif

Quote from: ahiddentableau on April 25, 2018, 11:24:49 PM
Probably not the response you're looking for, but I have to ask: how exactly does one build from "less than scratch"?

Sounds like magic to me!

Seriously, though, what kind of solid(s) are you going to build?

It starts by growing the trees!

But first one must collect the seeds.

Which of course necessitates growing trees....

Recursive errors are fun.

Zigcat

Have a car? What kind of stuff are you interested in? With just a limited amount of time, Im sure the essentials can be covered. It's  just Portland;)

Stay away from tourist traps like voodoo and salt and straw. We have great food that is not particularly hard to find. There are a ton of effect pedal companies, although I assume you can't just drop by, but cool to know! Old town music and centaur guitar are fun, as well as a few other good shops.

We have OMSI, crap tons of scenic stuff, the second largest bronze statue in the country. I can go on and on. More details and we can tailor this.

alanp

Crash Zigcat's pad with a bagful of DIY pedals?  ;) :o 8)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

matmosphere

Find the dude from stomptown Electronics and trick him into selling boards again.

Is there some kinda workshop there or something?

sonnyboy27

COFFEE!!! From what I understand, Portland has some of the best roasters in the country so go get yourself some hipster boutique coffee.

EDIT: Who are you taking the class with?

trailer

Multnomah Falls! Super touristy but totally worth is. Weird being in a rain forest at the bottom and then among dryish landscape and huge sequoia trees at the top. Fun town to walk around at night. Lots of music and weirdness to get into.

lars

Quote from: trailer on April 26, 2018, 07:03:45 AM
Multnomah Falls! Super touristy but totally worth is.
+1 on this one. In fact, that entire area around Multnomah falls has several waterfalls to check out. There's also a great lookout of the Columbia River area at the Vista House.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Aleph Null

Quote from: lars on April 26, 2018, 07:17:51 AM
Quote from: trailer on April 26, 2018, 07:03:45 AM
Multnomah Falls! Super touristy but totally worth is.
+1 on this one. In fact, that entire area around Multnomah falls has several waterfalls to check out. There's also a great lookout of the Columbia River area at the Vista House.

Multnomah only reopened recently (March?) after the fires. I haven't been since, but the view might not be as green as it once was. But waterfalls in general are a great idea—there are plenty of them to choose from! If you are able to travel a little farther south, I'd recommend Silver Falls as well.

Also, coffee and beer! Be sure to eat at Deschutes Brewery at least once.

Zigcat

reddesert

Visit Powell's Books.  Its high reputation doesn't prepare you for how good it is.

I would avoid the super-trendy donut shop (Voodoo?), if only because I was sitting in the park and saw a guy next to me taking a selfie with his donut before eating it. There's probably something equally tasty that's not overhyped.

Aleph Null

Quote from: reddesert on April 26, 2018, 12:48:02 PM
I would avoid the super-trendy donut shop (Voodoo?), if only because I was sitting in the park and saw a guy next to me taking a selfie with his donut before eating it. There's probably something equally tasty that's not overhyped.

Blue Star donuts are much less trendy and overhyped, but exponentially more delicious (and expensive).

JakeFuzz

There is so much stuff to do here I doubt you will have trouble finding stuff to do. We have some really good food and beer spots. Nongs, Pok Pok, Screen Door, Tasty and Alder to name a few. Forest Park is fun to walk around in if its nice outside. 23rd is a tourist strip and has some interesting shops. +1 on Powell's and there is a Blue Start donuts nearby! I think the Multnomah Whiskey library is right there too.

jubal81

There was another thread here about a fun electronic bits supply store called SurplusGizmos.

http://www.surplusgizmos.com/
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair