News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I'm in big DIY Trouble!

Started by blearyeyes, April 26, 2018, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

somnif

Those prices are astronomical for just the PCBs, am I missing something in the "we do not sell kits, just boards and parts lists" statement?

EBK

Hey, at least the ~$300 includes shipping!
I'm not at risk of spending money on these....
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

Safely out of my budget but would be very cool none the less.

I seem to recall never having any desire to build a synthesizer either...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

Gordo, my inner cheapskate is saving me 8)

Very nice photography, but I don't really have any use for studio gear like that.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

We need to agree right now that none of those qualify to be used in a "build of the year" contest. It wouldn't be fair! Those are some outstanding, beautiful designs; but just out-of-reach for most of us poor DIY'ers.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

blearyeyes

Some have cases and faceplates?

Just fell pray to the idea of having a nice unobtainium $4000.00 compressor or EQ for a grand... WHAT GRAND? You ask?

Oh yeah...

Momentary maniac hallucination.... 

blearyeyes

Quote from: lars on April 27, 2018, 07:54:36 AM
We need to agree right now that none of those qualify to be used in a "build of the year" contest. It wouldn't be fair! Those are some outstanding, beautiful designs; but just out-of-reach for most of us poor DIY'ers.

I wonder if any would fit in a 1590XX..?

gordo

I think there's a few folks around here that could cram it into a 1590A.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

peterc

Drip started off with a bang with these ridiculously priced PCBs. Granted his research has been impeccable, but still.....

Support is patchy at best, never expect an email reply and the forums are very quiet. Most buyers rely on Groupdiy for support.

So buyer beware....
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

blearyeyes

Yeah, too expensive for what it is. Same with all the other sites. 50 to 100 for a PCB might be worth it but I'm over the GAS effect.

drezdn

If I could afford it, I'd be tempted, but it would need to include a faceplate.

midwayfair

You know, guys, there's plenty of infinitely more reasonably-priced DIY gear available on GroupDIY ...

Hell, Hairball will sell you an entire aesthetically-accurate 1176A kit (including custom transformer reproductions) for less than some single PCBs on Drip. If you dig hard enough you can find PRR's modernized tube compressor and can probably get the PCB set for about $100 if someone will give it up, and that includes "collector's value" pricing.

Besides, let's consider the nature of "impeccable research" for some of the circuits whose schematics came taped to the inside of the device.

ahiddentableau

Quote from: midwayfair on May 01, 2018, 11:10:34 AM

Besides, let's consider the nature of "impeccable research" for some of the circuits whose schematics came taped to the inside of the device.

Zing!  Nice one!  And oh so true.  If I remember right, drip got started doing a REDD47--not exactly the most complicated design in the world of over-venerated studio gear.

I'm with you.  I just can't understand anybody paying that kind of scratch for a freaking PCB or two.  For that kind of money he better fly his greedy butt to my house to massage my shoulders as he talks me through every little step in sweet, sweet dulcet tones.

On a different note, has anyone here actually built anything like a Hairball 1176?  I've always been curious about doing a project like that but I've pulled the trigger.

blearyeyes

The Hairball FET compressor kit (D rev) with options is 640 bucks for the whole kit everything included for a rack mount. So a stereo set $1280.00

Hella lot cheaper than the real deal.