News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phase Melter

Started by cooder, May 03, 2018, 02:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Howdy, long time no see. I know.
I've been for a bunch of reasons, nice good ones and not so easy ones (which I still will figure what they were good for...) been off from stompbox building and absent from forum.

However the drive ain't dead and the urge is strong, so itching fingers and a bunch of unfinished tempting projects and pcbs floating around in my man cave brought me back.
One of those bare pcbs lying around for too long was Kugills excellent implementation of the Mutron II phaser, the 'Krypton Phasor'. I first built it as single pedal straight forward box and loved the sound and it came together nicely.
Fantastic optical phaser, awesome compact pcb!!
That made me itch even more and the idea of the Mutron Bi Phase gave me the inspiration to think of my own version of what i would want out of a box that has two phasers built in.
So by all means this is obviously not any workalike of the Bi Phase, it's just my custom idea to tailor it from the idea.

Here's my wish list of what I wanted out of it:
- two phaser independent from each other blendable
- independently bypassable, either both on or one off for a certain amount of clean signal set by blend knob or both of via main bypass.
- expression pedal jack to allow the blend mixer via footpedal.
- univibe cap mod switch on both of them for different voicings.
- relay bypass switching on all (thanks to the excellent 'finish line' bypass from Josh /1776 effects).

The result is the "Phase Melter" and it turned out well, I'm really pleased with it and it took a bit of advanced swearing combined with shoehorning to coax it in the box.
Great sounds in this and I love the flexibility of more subtle to wilder sounds, blending via expression pedal really works well and switch one of the phaser sides in bypass takes it to mild, both on is wild.

Pics from beginning:

with univibe cap mods selector. Can select three different cap sets, middle is stock Mutron, left is UniVibe, right is Voodoo Vibe. On second phaser I didUniVibe / Mutron / Resly RT 18 caps sets.

swearing, shoehorning etc... in the middle is the mixer board.

while I had the faceplate and knobs on I stuck a second enclosure with painters tape on top to protect faceplate of the crudiness of my work bench. Thought that was a clever idea, I'm sure someone else thought about that before me. Worked well.

enclosure with label on. I made then a 1.5 mm polycarbonate faceplate to protect the label.

BigNoise Amplification

Tremster

Cooder's back with Cooder awesomeness!

287m

AmAzINK and nice idea well executed

drog_trog

Leevibe

Super clever build and great job making it all fit and function.

It's really good to see you back! I missed you.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

Now that's how you make a comeback!

Good to see you, Cooder, and that is damn impressive. Wow. Any chance we'll hear a demo?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Bret608

Awesome comeback indeed! I had forgotten you are in Nelson, NZ...I was there in Nov. 2016 when my family and I visited Abel Tasman NP on our epic New Zealand visit.

I love what you did with the circuit(s)! The Phasor is already my favorite as it is.

m-Kresol

glad to see you back around here. I hope we'll see more of your builds again, this one is most impressive
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

davent

Just shy of three years!

Good to see you're well and still creating masterpieces Stephan.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

Thanks for the kind words guys!
I'm sure I missed a lot of good stuff and amazing works of you guys, have to do a bit of a catch up...

Quote from: jubal81 on May 03, 2018, 09:32:52 AM
Now that's how you make a comeback!

Good to see you, Cooder, and that is damn impressive. Wow. Any chance we'll hear a demo?
Cheers Jason. I'm not the best with making demos and a bit too self critical most of the time, but I'll keep it in mind. No promises and don't hold your breath yet...
I like the sounds and options available, so much so that I'll keep the concept for maybe other circuits to combine with a mixer like here. Nice effects and I just tried it with an expression pedal, works great to my ears.

Quote from: Bret608 on May 03, 2018, 09:43:39 AM
Awesome comeback indeed! I had forgotten you are in Nelson, NZ...I was there in Nov. 2016 when my family and I visited Abel Tasman NP on our epic New Zealand visit.

I love what you did with the circuit(s)! The Phasor is already my favorite as it is.
Hope you guys had a great time here in NZ and the Nelson area! Cheers!

Quote from: davent on May 03, 2018, 03:00:05 PM
Just shy of three years!

Good to see you're well and still creating masterpieces Stephan.
dave

Jeeeez time flies.... I wouldn't have guessed.  To say it with James Taylor: "The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time..."
Thanks for the comment Dave!
BigNoise Amplification

blearyeyes

Nice work Cooder. Happy to see your still stomping pedals.  Great idea there. Bet it's a bunch of swirly goodness!

Boba7

Amazing work, very impressive! And inspiring too! :)

culturejam

Holy shit, dude! Welcome the fuck back!!  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects