News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Retrograde Mod - increase octave up?

Started by dfine22, September 28, 2011, 03:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfine22

Anybody have an idea for component change to increase the octave up effect of the retrograde.  I think it is a bit too subtle for me. Thanks

Marcelo

same question here. i'd like to increase the sound of the octave. any suggestions? thanks!

Mark0614

The "trick" with this effect is to set your tone control to zero so you lose all the treble frequencies, and turn down the volume control of your guitar, this will yield the most pronounced octave effect.

artstomp

Matt

A 42TU011 transformer instead of the 42TM022 will give you a much better upper octave.  Smallbear has them.  The downside, it is bigger so it will be tricky to mount to the pcb.  Also, it won't fit in a shallow enclosure with pcb mounted pots.  It should fit in a 125b but test this to make sure before you commit!
Matt

Mark0614

Thanks for the reply Matt, The Mad Bean boards don't take the larger transformer but the GGG boards do. I dare say a newer version of the Retrograde is on the cards once all stock has been sold.

What tonal differences did you also encounter with the larger transformer?
Perhaps the larger core helps the bass response along?

Have you tried the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Octavio mods. They are on FREE STOMPBOXES and are pretty much replacing all the electro caps with 22uF caps. I'm not sure if that was done for tonal reasons or purchasing parts?

Thanks for your assistance.

Mark

Matt

No problem glad to help. I haven't tried the cap mods so I can't speak to those.

The larger transformer just seems to create a MUCH more pronounced upper octave. However I don't have the knowledge to tell you why. I just saw it listed on small bears site and took a gamble.

I did build mine to run at 18 volts. I read somewhere that Roger Mayer had experimented with different voltages. It decreases the fuzz.
Matt