News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Doppleganger & Cascadia builds

Started by diablochris6, May 29, 2018, 03:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

Completed a couple boards in my "Projects I'll Get Around To Someday" bin.

First up is a Gigahearts layout of the Lovetone Doppleganger that I won in a PIF. I originally had some ticking because the LFO 2 external jack was too close to the input signal, but a ton of copper and electrical tape fixed that problem. The art is a mix of a Schrodinger's cat doodle I made up and a watercolor painting that my 4 year-old (actually, today she turned five) created over a layer of white spray paint. She is pumped that I used her art on this...my two year-old son is a little jealous and wants his painting on a pedal too.

I also finally got the correct diodes to finish up the Cascadia. This thing rips! I have a ton of fun playing this through the Doppleganger. I had fun creating the illustration for this one, but I unfortunately switched the labelling for the gain and volume controls and wasn't diligent enough at removing some of the paper from the enclosure before spraying the clear coat.

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

cooder

Both very cool builds! Congrats to your daughters B'day, I bet seeing that graphics on her makes her day and your son is getting into drawing up stuff for your next builds meanwhile...
Great stuff!
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

Wow, your daughter's graphics totally blow away my version.  The DG is by far my "least needed - most cherished" live effect.  It's a permanent fixture on my board now and I use both the phase and vibe settings as well as the single/dual equally.  I kick it on just to flesh out a chorus here and there as it adds a bit of movement above and beyond the Univibe capabilities.

Very nicely done and put me down for an enclosure if your daughter comes up with any more inspiration!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

That's very cool. My daughter used paint pens on a couple of pedals, she was stoked. You should teach your daughter to solder, my did at 5. She put together an EM drive on strip board. Can't play a lick, but she loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

"Projects I'll Get Around To Someday" bin.

Thant's the only bin I have

LaceSensor

nice to see another doppelganger done

Did you use shielded cable on the jack (I think I recommend that in the manual, not sure)

diablochris6

Quote from: LaceSensor on May 30, 2018, 05:47:28 AM

Did you use shielded cable on the jack (I think I recommend that in the manual, not sure)
Yeah, this thing is extremely fun to play around with.

I dont remember seeing the shielded cable mentioned, but that was one of the first things I did. The ticking was still there but disappeared as I moved the ext. pedal jack away from the PCB. It was sitting right on top of the IN pad. I covered the jack with electrical tape then copper tape then another layer of electrical tape so that none of the connections would graze the grounded copper tape.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

stringsthings

The graphics on the doppleganger are simply fantastic. 
All You Need Is Love

alanp

I don't know why people like sticking clock-like LFO signals right on top of sensitive input jacks... :) ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Quote from: diablochris6 on May 30, 2018, 08:33:15 AM
Quote from: LaceSensor on May 30, 2018, 05:47:28 AM

Yeah, this thing is extremely fun to play around with.

I dont remember seeing the shielded cable mentioned, but that was one of the first things I did. The ticking was still there but disappeared as I moved the ext. pedal jack away from the PCB. It was sitting right on top of the IN pad. I covered the jack with electrical tape then copper tape then another layer of electrical tape so that none of the connections would graze the grounded copper tape.

having re-visited my docs, yeah you are right I dont specify it. Probably should have.
Its shown in my example build image, but not explicitly stated - my bad.

There isnt shielded cable on the expression jacks in the original (probably cos they dont run past any clock signals), but there is on the output wire from the central bypass footswitch. Again I should probably have noted that.

Still, glad you got it sorted out. FWIW Ive built a few of these with that specific PCB layout and never had an issue. I think it really depends how close you run the wires and where you place the jacks in relation to the PCB and the input / output, as well as whether you use shielded cable.

nzCdog

Just googled Schrödinger's cat after seeing your graphics... Woah :o
2 great builds, love the enclosure finishing! 8)