News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bingo!

Started by cooder, May 30, 2018, 08:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Very very OCD... let's have a game of Bingo then.

Here's my version of tweaked OCDness. Built on board designed by me, OSHparked, a few extras thrown in:
- switchable chargepump circuit, from 9V to 18V (Lo B+ / Hi B+) switch
- clipping switch between stock (OCD version 4 clipping), no clipping middle and the 'Bingo' clipping arrangement.
- three position peak switch (like in Aions Titan project).
- relay bypass switching (1776 bypass).

Many moons ago I got me those somewhat retro looking number click switches that look like from a 70ties reel to reel or a russian submarine or so, scored those on evilbay, thinking one day I'll do something with it.
The day has come, finally...
So there's the number 0 to 9 and on the connection side one common and 4 contacts. How's that making sense, I hear myself ask, quick check with DMM and here's the deal:

So on position 0 no connection,
position 1 connects to 1, position 6 connects second and third lug etc.
On the last and middle switch I chose red LED/1N4148/1N4001/1N60 and on first (left most digit) I replaced 1N60 with a bit of fairy dust Russian D9E just because why not. Diodes are mainly chosen for difference in forward voltage as that determines the biggest difference in sound.

The Russian diode looks a bit like... I mean.... you know... shall we call it Unicorn...?

Did a few random measurements with component tester just for the fun of it.

two red LEDs:

red LED and 1N4001 on 'North' side/ red LED, 1N4148 and 1N4001 on 'South' side (the component tester doesn't get parallel diodes, ity just sees them as one diode, but measures the resulting forward voltage)

and more clicking fun...

So there's a ton of clipping options, with many different sounding ones (more than you can poke a stick at...), a good number of similar sounding ones and a handful of identical ones (100 is the same as 010 and 001; one red LED nothing else).
All in all more possibilities than you can poke a stick at and after 047 onwards a bit of ear fatigue sets in... ;)
Fun messing around with and with the toggle switch I can always go back to none or stock as a comparison in a jiffy.

Pics from building:

cutout and faceplate (acrylic)

BigNoise Amplification

Tremster

blearyeyes

You are crazy creative. What a fun pedal!

Marshall Arts

Dig that. I like upcycling :-)

junkemail86

Nice build, very creative!

Govmnt_Lacky

Impressive stuff going on over there Stephan!

Well done!

diablochris6

That is fun! It needs a tiny slot machine lever for random clipping sounds.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jubal81

That is really impressive. Layout, looks, innovation and fun. Homerun, bud!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jimilee

You win teh interwebz for today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

Brilliant! I love stuff like this.. so out of the box from normal builds. Great job!

Cody

pickdropper

I love everything about this build.  Well executed in all regards.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

mjg

Very nice!   Maybe you could get a little old lady to draw balls from a cage to pick the clipping setting for the next song.   ;D

oip

this is wild!  the counter is an amazing development

cooder

Thanks guys glad you like it. It's a fun pedal to mess around with...
Quote from: mjg on May 30, 2018, 10:02:43 PM
Very nice!   Maybe you could get a little old lady to draw balls from a cage to pick the clipping setting for the next song.   ;D
Yep, that's a cool idea. Maybe I ask my better half to take that role, but she ain't quite that crowd and she ain't no little ol' lady either, so I might be in  trouble... ;D
BigNoise Amplification