News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD (sorta)

Started by blearyeyes, June 05, 2018, 12:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

Just acquired this and I'm in guitar heaven....

Rockhorst

Holy shitsnacks...Christmas came early?

blearyeyes

got a inside track with Santa

jimilee

Wtf is it exactly.  Looks like a preamp / switcher to me. It's cool lookin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

here's my experience with them ... local guy starts selling everything he can spare to get it ... gets it ... 6 months later its up for sale because they're young and stupid with jobs/money and he's carefully re-wrapped it up in its packaging like he never used it

they must be good because those guys practically sell their children to get em
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

culturejam

Quote from: jimilee on June 05, 2018, 03:35:59 AM
Wtf is it exactly.

Basically it replaces all your effects AND your amp(s). You can just go direct to PA and get amazing tone.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

blearyeyes

here’s a video that shows a little of what it can do.

https://youtu.be/fmXZZ0oEtbI

alanp

Jimi, it's a singing, dancing, digital modelling rig. But it's the modern kind of digital modelling, not the 90s kind.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: blearyeyes on June 05, 2018, 09:06:19 AM
here's a video that shows what it can do.

https://youtu.be/fmXZZ0oEtbI
Honestly, one of them sound better, but I don't know which one it is, there should be labels for when the rig is off and when it is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

(I have no affiliation with Fractal Audio Systems)

From my use, which is very limited, It has rendered my little tube amp pretty useless. Although it wasn't a bad sounding amp, it made all my guitars sound pretty much the same. Now I have re-discovered my guitars and the ability to choose amps that make them really sound wonderful. My Gretsch, which I was thinking about selling, really sounds incredible through the Divided by 13 low channel. Throw in a studio quality 4 channel chorus, a multi delay, glorious reverb and a parametric EQ to eliminate a bass bump, 1 of 4 available per patch, and it is stunning. Default the unit is pretty much a blank slate and doesn't have much in the way of finished patches which means you have to work at getting your sound and dialing in the amp models, but the tools are all there. Each block has every conceivable control down to the type of amp, preamp, tubes, bias settings, transformers, speaker types and resonance etc. I can't say enough good things about this black box and can only wonder where the new version (AXE FX-lll) will go as they start pushing the more than double the processing power over the years to come.  I tend to buy technology on the downward curve to save money so this was less than a good high end amp and speakers would have cost me. Also with USB computer interfacing for direct 4 channel digital recording (stereo processed and dry) and re-amping I don't think there is anything better for me. Thanks to fellow madbeaner woolie for selling me this one at a very reasonable price.  I'm directing my heirs to mount it in the lid of my coffin so I can keep jamming in the afterlife. hehe... now to figure out how I'm going to pay for food this month....

blearyeyes

Quote from: thesmokingman on June 05, 2018, 04:17:35 AM
here's my experience with them ... local guy starts selling everything he can spare to get it ... gets it ... 6 months later its up for sale because they're young and stupid with jobs/money and he's carefully re-wrapped it up in its packaging like he never used it

they must be good because those guys practically sell their children to get em

I think the learning curve puts off a lot of people. It's a tweakers delight (not the druggy kind)

playpunk

I bought a Kemper a year ago, and I love it. Every amp you could possibly want, plus great effects. I run a pedalboard in front and it is awesome, totally consistent, amazing at home and thru the PA.

Not an AXE FX but in the same vein.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Rockhorst

Basically, you can't go more pro than this...if the price comes down a bit more (not sure though that's gonna happen) but then it's a real threat I think to 'conventional' guitar products. You can spend what...3k on a John Petrucci signature Mesa or just buy this thing for about half price and have EVERYTHING...I'm thinking digital modelling needs maybe just one more tiny step and then it has surpassed anything we ever built...except that it's still modelled on everything we've ever built.

I put together a 19" rack unit with used gear (dump prices on the market these days) with a Triaxis and a G Major and that is already loads of fun. But this probably, once you get the hang of the user interface, takes that flexibility to stupendous levels. But it's not perfect yet ;) I remember a Metallica rig rundown video where the roadies discuss that Kirk and Hetfield use a dual Fractal setup and the units are switched MANUALLY by the roadies during songs, because response over those distances is too slow.

On the other hand: it's total overkill haha.

cooder

So no more soldering pokey little pcbs then for you...?
BigNoise Amplification

blearyeyes

Quote from: cooder on June 05, 2018, 03:51:43 PM
So no more soldering pokey little pcbs then for you...?

Well....

it's all about motivation I guess.