News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Including Schematics?

Started by thesmokingman, June 22, 2018, 09:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesmokingman

I'm curious as to everyone's take on whether you should include schematics with build documents. I can't say I don't always need one as in the past I've used them to find mistakes, both mine as the builder and the maker's(incorrect mask, missing links, pads that shouldn't be joined). The reason I ask is I recently picked up a pcb for a project from a maker that's generally ahead of the curve getting pcbs to market, even ahead of themselves as "build documents to follow" is pretty much their MO. I've had the pcb for a while, waited for their build doc, open it up and no schematic. It rubs me the wrong way.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Ralfg

Schematics are super important to me because I want to understand what I am building and learn from it.  The whole reason I got into this hobby was because most of the pedals I bought were always missing something and just didn't feel like my voice.  I'm really not interested in projects without schematics.

If it's the maker I am thinking, they are really responsive if you message them.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

midwayfair

I won't buy something that doesn't have a schematic and I'm disinclined to help troubleshoot something without one. If someone's selling to the DIY market, they need to include it.

thesmokingman

honestly, I think that's the direction I'll be heading in the future. I got the cart ahead of the horse as much as the seller on this one and I can own that. I haven't placed a parts order for it or ran into any build trouble yet but I very well could have in the amount of time I've had the pcb vs when I got the build doc let alone the schematic.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

juansolo

Not interested in anything without schematics. Trying to troubleshoot something without them is a royal PITA. I build kit nixie clocks but the kit maker won't release the schematics. One time I had to send a build back to him, another he had me replace a couple of transistors. When I quizzed him as to why they might have failed he was super evasive. It's really unsatisfying painting by numbers and having no idea how something works (or doesn't as the case may be). That's kinda what I'm in this for...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Muadzin

Quote from: juansolo on June 22, 2018, 02:54:12 PM
Not interested in anything without schematics. Trying to troubleshoot something without them is a royal PITA.

That!

Thankfully most PCB sellers I've used include schematics, so no issues there. But I'd wish that Tagboard would include a schematic, or a link to the schematic used with every vero layout. The number of times I had to look for schematics and then decide which one to pick was time that could have been better spent if it had been included from the start.

cooder

Quote from: thesmokingman on June 22, 2018, 09:14:46 AM
I'm curious as to everyone's take on whether you should include schematics with build documents. I can't say I don't always need one as in the past I've used them to find mistakes, both mine as the builder and the maker's(incorrect mask, missing links, pads that shouldn't be joined). The reason I ask is I recently picked up a pcb for a project from a maker that's generally ahead of the curve getting pcbs to market, even ahead of themselves as "build documents to follow" is pretty much their MO. I've had the pcb for a while, waited for their build doc, open it up and no schematic. It rubs me the wrong way.
Yes, I had some discussion with the seller (i'm sure you are referring too) as well and also made my point that scheamyics are important and build docs should be up asap best when stuff gets released.
I think schematics are absolutely important for learning, trouble shooting, modding and double checking.
BigNoise Amplification

Rockhorst

I include schematics with all the projects I offer. There's a few up for preorder right now without a schematic but they'll be up as soon as the boards are officially released and before I send them out to the customer (and the general schematics can be guessed from the description).

Schematics are essential for troubleshooting, as Juan stated. And also: essential for making the effects your own by being able to mod it, which in part is what DIY is all about.

Pretty sure I know who you're talking about and I have to say: the output is insane and pretty stiffling if you view it as competition. No way to keep up with that.

+1 on Tagboard

culturejam

Quote from: Muadzin on June 22, 2018, 03:26:13 PM
But I'd wish that Tagboard would include a schematic, or a link to the schematic used with every vero layout.

Yeah, I really don't understand that at all. I would think a schematic would be more important with a non-PCB build.

See, I knew one day I would find some topic on which to agree with you.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gordo

I'm with Ralfg on this one. Said seller is very approachable and I think the majority of the build docs have schematics, no?

That said, building without is paint by numbers.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

reddesert

It seems like some people worry that their schematic will quickly get copied by another small builder or flooded by a vendor of cheap imported copies. I get that worry, but realistically anyone who has an unpopulated board could trace a schematic. Tracing is a PITA; it's worth it if you're going to make lots of copies, but not if you're building and debugging a single pedal. So withholding the schematic hurts the one-off builders (your good customers) but not any unscrupulous copiers. It's backwards.

Not having a schematic because you're behind on the build docs is different, I guess, but is kind of like software industry ship-before-ready. For ex, I appreciate that Madbean always writes great build docs. If it means he has to delay releasing projects sometimes, I can wait.

BuGG

If we're talking about who I think we're talking about, I hear he's an extremely handsome guy.
Like, really really ridiculously good looking.

Okay on a serious note...  ;D

I'm admittedly way behind on build docs but finally starting to make some progress.   Another week or so and they should be caught up.     At any point you can shoot me a message and I'll send over any info you need, you aren't bugging me so feel free any time.

I had to rush out a few docs, folks needed drill templates and parts lists but the schematics weren't quite "ready for prime time" so they were omitted until I have a chance to clean them up. 

EBRAddict

Quote from: culturejam on June 22, 2018, 05:39:21 PM
Quote from: Muadzin on June 22, 2018, 03:26:13 PM
But I'd wish that Tagboard would include a schematic, or a link to the schematic used with every vero layout.

Yeah, I really don't understand that at all. I would think a schematic would be more important with a non-PCB build.

See, I knew one day I would find some topic on which to agree with you.  ;D

I stopped building tagboard layouts for that very reason. Or if I was desperate I'd draw the schematic out from the illustration but that can turn into a mess.

I gotta have schematics or I won't even start a build beyond a Fuzz Face.

ahiddentableau

Schematics are essential.  That's how we learn.  I read build docs for projects I know I'll never have even the tiniest interest in building just to see the schematic.  Without them, it's just paint-by-numbers, and I'd be learning nothing.

Zigcat

I like to at least have build docs. Bugg.... Help me out!