MAMMOTH ENCLOSED 1/4 JACKS SIMILAR TO SWITCHCRAFT 112 - MONO W/ 3 CONNECTIONS?

Started by trailer, June 25, 2018, 12:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Are these jacks supposed to have two or three connections?

https://www.mammothelectronics.com/collections/audio-jacks/products/4sjk102m

If they are supposed to be three wire then how would you wire them up?

Thanks in advance!

diablochris6

I can't tell by the description if it is similar to the 112A or 112B. Basically, it's a switching style jack. Easiest way to tell if it is an A is to use a DMM to test for continuity between two of the lugs, then put a cable into the jack and test for continuity between the tip of the jack and one of those two lugs. The lug with continuity is the tip lug. The ground lug would be that third lug (you can always use the DMM on the cable sleeve to verify).  You could also visually look for the connections.

You can use the jacks as regular input/output by using the tip and sleeve lugs as normal. They can also be used as part of an effects loop. The send signal would go to the tip lug, the third switch lug would be wired to the switch lug of the return jack, and the tip lug of the return jack connects to the return signal of the board.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

ahiddentableau

Just to expand on Chris's (excellent) reply: a mono enclosed jack should only have two lugs if it's of the standard type.  So it sounds like you got a switched mono jack, or they sent you a stereo jack by mistake (or because they've mislabeled their parts listings).  Either seems possible (because that parts listing is really crappy), so it's important that you suss out which one you've got.  Note that a switchcraft enclosed with a 2 at the end of the designation is generally a stereo jack so it's possible that that's what you've got.  I'd guess switched, but make sure you rule out stereo.

First, check if it's stereo by looking into the interior of the jack for a second flange that would hit the ring of a stereo jack.  If that's not there, then you probably have a switched mono jack--if it is then it's stereo. Follow Chris's advice to use a continuity tester to find which lug is switched on when the jack is engaged and which one is the ground.  Just wire the former as your tip and the latter as your ground and you can wire it up as normal and should be good to go.

trailer

So here are pictures of the jacks. I keep forgetting to take them home so I haven't hit them with the DMM. Anyway, if you look at the pictures, under the tip there is a tab coming off the middle contact that makes contact with the tip. You can sort of see this tab in the pictures below. When a cable input is inserted into the jack, this tab should lose contact with the tip. Does that mean anything to you guys? Teach me something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diablochris6

It's like what I said above. It's a switching jack. These are good for effects loops.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

trailer

Quote from: diablochris6 on August 14, 2018, 10:08:20 AM
It's like what I said above. It's a switching jack. These are good for effects loops.

Thanks for your help! Notes for my notebook!