News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hypothetical Flanger Questions

Started by HamSandwich, July 13, 2018, 05:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSandwich

From what I understand, your basic through zero flange is taking the dry signal of a flanger and slightly delaying it so the modulating flange'd signal gets to slower delay speeds than the delay'd dry signal.

So what happens if you split the signal into three - one dry signal, and two then paths into flanger circuitry, but have the flanger driven by bipolar LFO's? So as one path increases in delay time, the other decreases. Once the signals are summed, would something interesting happen, or would there be a lot of cancelation?

Zigcat

HamSandwich

Can you condense that down to one paragraph and have it on my desk by 5?

:P I kid.

Thanks for the link! I remember seeing that a couple years ago. Time to mine some info. Thank you!

Invertiguy

That's basically how the Boss DC-2 works; it splits the signal into 2 separate delay lines that are 180 degrees out of phase with each other (when one is at maximum delay, the other is at minimum) and then recombines them along with the dry signal to produce the "motionless" chorus it's known for. Interestingly, it also allows one to get through-zero flanging out of it  by cutting the dry signal, as the 2 delay lines will pass each other in time. I have no idea if the idea would work in a proper flanging setup with really short delay times and feedback, but it's definitely worth a shot.
Doomsday Devices