News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gigging members, opinion wanted

Started by movinginslomo, July 24, 2018, 06:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movinginslomo

We're playing the bar half of a brewpub last saturday night, it's after kitchen closing so no one seated in the dining area. We're not terribly loud, but we get complaints from someone at the end of the bar that "we can't hear ourselves talk!" Now like I said due to a huge noise issue with an out of line boutique owner next door (another tale for another time) who attempted to have the town (city technically) shutter the brewpub, we were not playing at excessive volumes, and constantly asking the bartender "we still good?" every song break. Do we A) placate patrons and put down the rock n' roll to dinner jazz volumes, or do we B) continue as why would a person come to a bar with a band playing on a saturday night if they didn't want the music.

Why are your guys thoughts.. both me and the bartender considered it kind of unreasonable

trailer

You play the rock and roll you were hired to play.

EBK

Wow!  Hopefully, there were people at the gig who were less rude (sounds like heckling).  It is certainly fair to assume that live music will be loud, and a live music venue is not generally a place for lengthy conversation. 

I'd recommend seeking out the brewpub owner's opinion, just to be sure.  My gut says go with option B after perhaps pretending to turn down the volume.

Quote from: trailer on July 24, 2018, 06:54:49 PM
Amen!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Quote from: trailer on July 24, 2018, 06:54:49 PM
The person that pays you wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zigcat

Aleph Null

You were hired by the brewpub, not the audience member, so I would defer to the P.I.C. at the brewpub. Unless you're playing exclusively for tips—but that complaining audience member weren't going to tip anyway. ;)

matmosphere

Quote from: Zigcat on July 24, 2018, 07:55:38 PM
Louder!

This ^^

I'd apologize and say we're tirning down but turn up a bit louder.

In al seriousness though, you were booked because the owner wanted a band there, don't worry about one person.

flanagan0718

The person paying you wins. I almost got into a fight because of this once. Some A-hole in a bar was pissed because he couldn't hear "the game" while we were playing. My singer, the bartender and I all politely told him to get lost. The next song he cam up and pushed my cymbal stand toward me and then tried to get out of the bar. The bouncers grabbed him and, not so politely, told him to get lost. it was an interesting night...

I say play what you are paid to play...screw um!
-Mike-

bamslam69

Dedicate the next song to "the people who just asked the band to turn down because they can't hear each other talk".
Play something like Dead Kennedy's - Nazi Punks F... off

gordo

There's gotta be a meathead in every audience.  Like everyone else said whomever is picking up the tab makes the rules.  The idea of someone being that self centered floors me.

I've had the opposite side of the coin too.  I played a bar in Bemidgi MN (a college town) that during load in we got the stage set up and fired up the monitors.  The manager came flying up to the stage and said there was no way we could play that loud.  Played a week with no fronts.  I wanted to shoot myself after every set.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

movinginslomo

Quote from: bamslam69 on July 25, 2018, 12:51:43 AM
Dedicate the next song to "the people who just asked the band to turn down because they can't hear each other talk".
Play something like Dead Kennedy's - Nazi Punks F... off

Thirsty and Miserable. Black Flag. LOL

Stomptown

50 percent of the time, you can please everyone all the time!  Seriously though, there's always going to be a super important guy who didn't get the memo that a band would be playing. I just try to ignore it.

stringsthings

( Not in a gigging band currently )

I agree that there's a good chance it was a heckler.  Heckler's are a real PITA unless you're a band
that can afford security.  ( which the majority of us cannot )

The last guitarist/vocalist that I played with was great with mean hecklers.  He'd beat the snot out of them, if possible.
They didn't come back.  I guess it just comes with the job.  Not pleasant at all.
All You Need Is Love

bsoncini

If you were fine with the bar staff then you are all good.

I don't get these people. I've been to plenty of bars that had bands I didn't like or I just wanted a calmer atmosphere. There is no need to complain. Finish your drink and go to the next bar.

ahiddentableau

Some people are just self-absorbed a-holes and your critic is clearly one of them.  As others said, you're working for the bar.  They hired you guys--a rock band--to play.  You're not a jazz band.  You're not some dude with a spanish guitar.  If I had any doubts about the situation, I'd just have a word with the manager/whoever hired you and ask her/him if they're happy with the volume of your performances.  If the manager said they think you're too loud, then I'd probably listen and turn down.  But I wouldn't do it just because of one moron who thinks the world needs to live in silence so everyone can hear him pontificate.

tl;dr - You're good, he's a douche, ask the manager about your volume if you have doubts