News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hammond Customised enclosures

Started by stevie1556, July 27, 2018, 06:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

Just wondering if anyone on here uses the (I think new) enclosure customisation service from Hammond. The place where i buy the Eddystone range from now offers it, so thought that i would try it out. Here are my thoughts.....

It was very easy to supply a technical drawing. I made the rectangles for each side of the enclosure then measured off of a centre line, and submitted that the my local company, and within a day Hammond had sent me a technical drawing to check and sign and send back to them if it was right. Around 2 weeks later I received the first test box, the holes were all perfectly placed, but the hole for the power jack was placed on the wrong side. After speaking to my local company, they heard back from Hammond and they said it was human error where the enclosure was placed the wrong way round in the CNC machine. Rather then sending out another test enclosure, they sent me a new technical drawing as I wanted to change the power jack hole (6mm to 8mm), and a week later all 100 enclosures had arrived (bearing in mind I'm in the UK and they customise them in America). Overall, I'm extremely happy with them, especially as getting the holes lined up perfectly on a 1590A isn't easy.

Just a bit of info if anyone is interested. They give you a free quote, and if you decide to go ahead with it there is a £105 one off fee, if you decide to repeat the same order then you don't need to pay the fee again. The fee covers drilling, powder coating and silk screening, I just had the drilling service done. If I wanted some enclosures with 1, 2, and 3 holes for pots, then that would have incurred 3 setup fees so I decided to have drill markers on the silk screens instead, in hindsight I should have had the footswitch and LED holes drilled as well.

Overall, I'm really happy with it. The cost per enclosure if I had 100 for the price break point is £3.58 each, and including drilling they were £6.12 each. The quality of the drilling is really good, every box I've tried is 100% perfect.

stevie1556

Having to put the pictures here as Tapatalk still won't let me create a topic :(

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

playpunk

That looks really good. It would be nice for someone trying to build, say, all of the new Aion projects that will have common design principles.

Or the new fancy madbean deluxe high class projects, for instance.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

dan.schumaker

I have never seen that before, but it sounds very interesting (Especially for someone with a bunch of identically drilled 1590A projects).  I just tried looking for a link to Hammond enclosure customization, but came up empty.

Do you have a link to share for this?

Space Monkey

You can just contact Hammond directly for drilling and painting services.

stevie1556

Quote from: playpunk on July 27, 2018, 06:38:41 AM
That looks really good. It would be nice for someone trying to build, say, all of the new Aion projects that will have common design principles.

Or the new fancy madbean deluxe high class projects, for instance.

If you're going to be building a lot of projects that are identical layouts or 1590A enclosures where the drilling locations are paramount, then it's a fantastic service. All the local companies want a fortune to CNC the enclosures and Hammond were the cheapest by a very large margin. Many times I've looked at the cheap Chinese CNC machines but always decided against them.

But like you say, if your planning on building a lot of project with boards from the same supplier (VFE boards for example), then once the one off setup fee is done, it's a cheap and great way of having them drilled.

Quote from: dan.schumaker on July 27, 2018, 06:41:49 AM
I have never seen that before, but it sounds very interesting (Especially for someone with a bunch of identically drilled 1590A projects).  I just tried looking for a link to Hammond enclosure customization, but came up empty.

Do you have a link to share for this?

I got mine sorted through Rapid Electronics. As space monkey says below, I believe you can do it direct through Hammond, but not sure that's a viable option being in the UK unfortunately.

Quote from: Space Monkey on July 27, 2018, 09:51:01 AM
You can just contact Hammond directly for drilling and painting services.

I believe you can, but I'm not sure how viable that is with being in the UK for me unfortunately. Luckily I've used Rapid Electronics for years and they have always been good and reliable. The guy dealing with it kept me informed at every step and got the issue sorted straight away for me so I definitely can't complain about the service.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk