News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GUITARPCB BIG MUFF PI W/ MBP 3PDT BOARD?

Started by trailer, July 31, 2018, 09:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Hi guys,

I think I know the answer here but before I start soldering this board any further I want to be a little more certain.

A little back story...
When I decided to give building pedals a shot I lurked around the web and ended up getting a Muff Pi kit from a certain company (not GuitarPCB). I painted an enclosure and boxed it and then cried when it didn't work. I slaved over the thing and finally put it away and started on another project. That being said, I have pulled the pedal back out and it is a mess. I almost feel like I should keep it as a paperweight reminder of how bad I was... but where is the fun in that.

After reflowing all solder joints and rewiring the whole thing I realized that this enclosure is cut very tight for this board and everything else. No matter how I wiggle the board in to the box, its going to sit sideways. To reduce clutter I want to use a 3PDT PCB.

I have attached a picture of the board. Does anyone know how to match the wiring up for these? I assume T on the input and output pads would go to the corresponding pads on the 3PDT PCB. After that, I get lost.

Anyone done one of these before or have a suggestion?

BrianS

Are you using a GuitarPCB 3pdt board or one from somewhere else?

trailer

A madbean's 3pdt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gordo

The T pads are jack (plug really) 't'ips and the other pad is sleeve, or ground.  You can ignore everything else. Run the led from the 3pdt. So you'll connect the jacks to the 3pdt board as well as power. Run the D.C. Out pads back to the muff power and connect the muff in and out to the switch board and youre all set.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

trailer

Quote from: gordo on July 31, 2018, 06:45:11 PM
The T pads are jack (plug really) 't'ips and the other pad is sleeve, or ground.  You can ignore everything else. Run the led from the 3pdt. So you'll connect the jacks to the 3pdt board as well as power. Run the D.C. Out pads back to the muff power and connect the muff in and out to the switch board and youre all set.

So, exactly what the 3pdt PCB instructions say on page 4. I make things way more complicated than they should be sometimes.

Thanks Gordo!

Yahoo67

Barry's non opamp big muff boards are really cool. He a a build doc just for the mods like a sweep pot,low and hi pass filters, a tonebender switch and clip options. But i never tried the opamp, i did build Brians pig butt. If you like big muff type pedals you should try his g2 animal board :) i like a lot! Itd been on my board for a year now ^^

trailer

Quote from: Yahoo67 on August 01, 2018, 07:18:27 AM
Barry's non opamp big muff boards are really cool. He a a build doc just for the mods like a sweep pot,low and hi pass filters, a tonebender switch and clip options. But i never tried the opamp, i did build Brians pig butt. If you like big muff type pedals you should try his g2 animal board :) i like a lot! Itd been on my board for a year now ^^

I have slammed through a pile of fuzzes and ready for a break, haha. I have a little stack of non-working circuits that I'm getting started on now, this board being one of them. I'll be back around to more fuzz soon and will be looking for suggestions. I'll keep that one in my buy list!

zgrav

If you use the LED on the 3PDT board I think you can leave off the 2-color LED for D7.  If you used that instead it would give you one color LED when the pedal is powered on, and change color when the unit is switched into your sound chain.  You certainly don't need both sets of LEDs for the pedal.