News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Time to make the donuts!

Started by EBK, August 16, 2018, 12:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

"Sprinkles" update:

I'm actually quite proud of these.  I'll probably make some more, just to be safe.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

EBK

I'm trying a new painting technique here.  I'm using some Blu-tack as a paint mask in order to keep some of the gold and just paint the top of the donut (I think at this point I can safely skip putting quotes around the words donut and sprinkles).
Here is the donut in my outdoor toaster oven.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

cooder

But aren't  they usually deep fried....? :o
BigNoise Amplification

EBK

Quote from: cooder on August 18, 2018, 02:17:24 PM
But aren't  they usually deep fried....? :o
I meant my outdoor deep-fryer, of course.  Stupid autocorrect!  ;D

EBK

When I ask Google what this is (via an image search), it says donut:

It definitely looks more donut-like that what I started with:

Here it is on the ivory colored enclosure again:

My kids (3 and 6) think it would look better on a black enclosure, but I'm not too sure.

somnif

Tasty looking!

I think I would've gone with a donut-box pink enclosure myself, but that's just me. Yours looks pretty good as it is!

(I just realized this may be a regional thing. Are donut boxes typically pink in other parts of the world?)

madbean

A big fat 8mm LED in the donut hole would make this even more exceptional.

gordo

It's like Mr Bill with patriotic stubble.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

Quote from: madbean on August 19, 2018, 02:27:51 PM
A big fat 8mm LED in the donut hole would make this even more exceptional.
What I was thinking of doing was to drill a hole in the enclosure where the donut is going to go, and putting an LED inside the enclosure so it shines onto some Lambertian (i.e., diffusely reflective, like a white piece of paper) surface at the bottom of the hole, giving a subtle glowing effect.  Regardless of whether that works, I'm drilling a big hole under the donut.   ;D

EBK

Quote from: gordo on August 19, 2018, 02:32:14 PM
It's like Mr Bill with patriotic stubble.
"Oh no!!!!......"
Thanks for that memory.  ;D

EBK

Quote from: somnif on August 19, 2018, 01:18:26 PM
(I just realized this may be a regional thing. Are donut boxes typically pink in other parts of the world?)
I've never seen a pink donut box.  I grew up  in western Pennsylvania, and I'm currently in Virginia, near DC.

I did briefly think about Pepto pink for the donut icing though, but that would've required a trip to the hardware store, where I wouldn't have found that color anyway.  ;)

selfdestroyer

EBK

My Mouser shipment arrived before I finished the enclosure, so I decided to populate the board.  I've finished drilling the enclosure though.

The bit of JB Weld is filling in the old center punch dent for the LED from before I changed my plan.

The output jack will be directly below the donut hole, but I believe I still have enough space to work with.  I'm currently planning to put a small piece of painted aluminum flashing in there.  I think there will be a large enough gap to hit the flashing with some light from inside the enclosure.  If that doesn't work, then I'll just have to think of something else.   ;)

cooder

Don't you have a constant itch to nibble or lick on any of those two...?
BigNoise Amplification