News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Time to make the donuts!

Started by EBK, August 16, 2018, 12:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: cooder on August 20, 2018, 12:50:57 PM
Don't you have a constant itch to nibble or lick on any of those two...?
Yes, but I've found that neither the PCB nor the washer actually taste good, which helps.  Now, a phenolic resin board, on the other hand -- well, we all know those are yummy, am I right?  ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

oip

this is simply outstanding and also making me hungry

EBK

It occurred to me today that Krispy Kreme used to make a light up Christmas ornament, which would have made an amazingly awesome status indicator for a donut pedal, if only it were smaller:

I actually do own one of these ornaments.  It would be more appropriate on a 1590BB enclosure.  But, someone could make an backlit acrylic faceplate with this logo, I suppose.  Just a thought.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

EBK

Quick proof of concept LED test:

cooder

A glow in the dark donut. Who would have thought!
BigNoise Amplification

EBK

I'd call the test of indirect lighting a success.
I need to make the LED brighter, and I'm still not sure what color I want.  I think I should try out a white LED.  I also have some UV LEDs, which might look interesting.

Any opinions?

matmosphere

I think white is the way to go. I have a huge 10mm one I'm necer gonna use if you want it.  :o

EBK

Quote from: Matmosphere on August 23, 2018, 05:56:50 AM
I think white is the way to go. I have a huge 10mm one I'm never gonna use if you want it.  :o
Hmm.  Maybe.  Your forum profile says you are in Washington, DC.  I'm in Alexandria, VA.  You probably wouldn't even have to mail it!   ;D 

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: EBK on August 23, 2018, 06:10:49 AM
Hmm.  Maybe.  Your forum profile says you are in Washington, DC.  I'm in Alexandria, VA.  You probably wouldn't even have to mail it!   ;D

I'm about 50 miles South of DC. We should hold a mini convention sometime  8)

EBK

I tested a white LED, and although I didn't take pictures yet, I do like it much better than the red.  The only problem is the apparent color temperature, which is too blue for my liking (it looks very sterile and clashes with the ivory paint color).  Luckily, I have some CTO gels somewhere in my house (from when I was really into photography in a past life) to correct this (I'd like to bring the apparent color temp into the incandescent bulb range, I think).  Now, I just need to find those gels....

EBK

I found my gels!
I didn't match up the angles of these very well, but on the right is the white LED, and on the left is the same LED shining through a 3/4 CTO filter.  I believe that the one on the left is better, but I'm open minded if you want to disagree.

Zigcat

Does a red led look like a jelly center?

madbean

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 23, 2018, 07:02:53 AM
Quote from: EBK on August 23, 2018, 06:10:49 AM

I'm about 50 miles South of DC. We should hold a mini convention sometime  8)

Huh, neat. I actually grew up in DC like a million years ago. My mom lives in Silver Spring. I really need to get back there.

EBK

Quote from: Zigcat on August 24, 2018, 07:25:01 PM
Does a red led look like a jelly center?
Actually, it reminded me of a Hallongrotta (thumbprint cookie).

EBK

I'm almost done cluttering up this place with my ramblings about inedible donuts.   ;)

Assuming the pedal works (will test it more completely very soon), the wiring is essentially complete (I just need to ground the enclosure for shielding):

Here is a better picture of the lighting without the donut in the way: