News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uber Tuber - The heartbreak of a successful build

Started by gordo, August 20, 2018, 06:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

This one went together without issue, with the exception of me forgetting to order long pin pots.  It gave me time to massage an old Telefunken radio ad artwork into the enclosure graphic and get it drilled and prepped.  Circuit together...works like a champ...sounds really nice (extremely quiet).  Get it loaded up in the chassis:

Until I realize (because the controls are working a bit funny) that I've got the labels backwards.  Left is right, and right is wrong...

Oh well, I'll pull it out of the enclosure and edit the graphic.  Sigh.

This one features the high end 3PDT that Lawrence over at BLMS is selling.  I hate paying that much but a REALLY nice switch and for those builds that deserve the best...this is the switch.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

BryGuy

Looks killer, nice job. Finishing up the last few components on my board tonight or tomorrow.

cooder

That looks most excellent and it will be so worth to redo the label! What a cool pedal!
Great graphics too.
It's one of those slap-your-face-hard facepalm moments when you realize blimmin' mix ups like this..
I bet most of us have a few dents in the forehead, if that helps with the sigh...
BigNoise Amplification

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

drog_trog

wstimson

Yeah, that looks great.  Can't wait to get mine put together. 

And we've all been there on the reversed control labels, I think.  Sucks, but it happens. 

BryGuy

Quote from: gordo on August 20, 2018, 06:47:01 PM

Until I realize (because the controls are working a bit funny) that I've got the labels backwards.  Left is right, and right is wrong...

I was looking at the build doc again last night and noticed that the drill guide has DRIVE & CUT on the left and LVL & SAT on the right like you have it gordo. Easy to get it mix up I guess but looking at the pcb that is definitely backwards.

madbean

gordo

I should have caught it.  The graphics fix was easy but I dread pulling it all out again.  Minor stuff.  This is definitely a cool pedal and worth the effort.
Gordy Power

peterc

Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

nzCdog

Excellent! Need some demos rockin this bad boy!

Aleph Null

matmosphere

That looks great!! Bet it sounds cool too.

I'll tell you what, send it to me and I'll fix the graphics so you don't have to worry about it.  ;)

gordo

The story gets worse but has a happy ending. I had pretty much decided to live with it until I went to assemble a freshly finished enclosure for a Naughty Fish. While tightening a knob I slipped with an Allen wrench and trashed the decal and clear coat. I took it as somewhat of a sign and figured redoing two finishes seemed a bit more purposeful. Flawed logic at best but I redid both and reloaded the guts and both sound terrific.
Gordy Power

gordo

And how does the UT sound?  Very cool. It's a fairly laid back cruncher with a low to medium gain range. It has a LOT of output and remains exceptionally quiet at all settings, even at amp-punishing levels. Saturation is subtle but can take some of the fatness out if needed and Cut does exactly that to the top end over a nice range. To my ears it sounds a bit like an old Bassman with Cut and Sat ccw. 

The two things that made me grin ear to ear when I first fired it up are how well it cleans up at the guitar, again like an old Bassman, and how a decaying note trails off to nothing. No artifacts or sputters like a lot of distortions.

The boost switch gives it a bit more grunt and I'd likely leave it there but will see how it reacts to my live rig and humbuckers.
Gordy Power