News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tap Tempo Cardinal Trem

Started by wstimson, August 23, 2018, 01:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wstimson

So, I put this board together about 2 years ago, I think.  Had some trouble with the graphics (printer crapped out on me) and let it sit for a while.  I finally decided to go a different, less good direction with the box and put it together only to find that I drilled the top mounted jacks a little too close to the power and couldn't fit them all in.  So I cursed a whole bunch and decided I'd redrill another box later.... which never actually happened.  So it sat there, 3/4 assembled for a long while now.

Yesterday I got some parts in from Lawrence including some Lumberg jacks.  I hadn't used those before and they deserve the hype. Very nice jacks and much smaller than the Switchcraft ones.  Anyways, those fit in the existing box just fine, so I was able to toss them in and finally box this up after years of shame and failure.  The label is still way less than ideal, but the pedal works perfectly and sounds fantastic.  Used dual-concentric pots to put the rate and balance knobs on top of the multiplier and waveform knobs.  I also got some of the colored aluminum footswitch nuts from BLMS, and I really like those as well. 

Didn't get a shot of the insides, but I assure you it's messy (six off-board wired pots and two footswitches) but functional.  :-)

Additionally, this is the first thing I've gotten finished since I put in my new workspace in the garage last month  The whole process was ssoooo much easier without having to dig out tools and set up / tear down a workspace on the kitchen table. The pedal parts still need a bit more organization, but this is already amazing.  Even though it's summer in Phoenix and even at 9pm it was over 90 in the garage.  Worth it.

cooder

Excellent build, great look and those dual concentric pots are top notch! I bet it's busy inside.... well done.
Great workspace too, you must be stoked with that!
BigNoise Amplification

mjg

Every pedal building workspace needs a large mallet and an axe in easy reach.   For the 1590A builds. 

That's very nice work on the enclosure - I'd not thought of doing dual pots like that before, it looks very professional. 

wstimson

Thanks, fellas.

You definitely want saws and hammers near by when you're trying to box up some of these things.  :) 
But yeah, the workbench in the garage finally getting put together is pretty exciting. 

I can't take credit for the dual pots.  That was a suggestion from Jon when he did the group buy several years ago.  The rate pot on a tap tempo pedal doesn't get used much, and the balance knob is mostly set and forget.  So just stacking them up there out of the way makes a lot of sense to me.

midwayfair

Nice! Don't see too many of these in the wild.

Did ... did you put in a 1590B?  :o

wstimson

Quote from: midwayfair on August 24, 2018, 07:16:18 AM

Yeah, you really don't see them much.  I guess it's because there weren't made boards made, and it is a fairly expensive and somewhat complicated build.  I mean, it took me, like, three years to get it done.  :)

It's a great pedal, though.  And it works really well.  No noise or ticking at all on my pedal board.  It did tick a little with the OneSpot, but hooked up to the PedalPower 2, it's silent.  Definitely staying on my gigging board. 

No, that's a 125B.  I'm not a wizard or a masochist. :-)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: wstimson on August 24, 2018, 09:22:49 AM

Yeah, you really don't see them much.  I guess it's because there weren't made boards made, and it is a fairly expensive and somewhat complicated build.  I mean, it took me, like, three years to get it done.  :)

It's a great pedal, though.  And it works really well.  No noise or ticking at all on my pedal board.  It did tick a little with the OneSpot, but hooked up to the PedalPower 2, it's silent.  Definitely staying on my gigging board. 

I wonder if Jon knows how complicated it is? LOL.. made me giggle for the obvious reasons.

The build looks fantastic!

wstimson

Quote from: selfdestroyer on August 27, 2018, 01:25:32 PM
Quote from: wstimson on August 24, 2018, 09:22:49 AM

I wonder if Jon knows how complicated it is? LOL.. made me giggle for the obvious reasons.

The build looks fantastic!

Ha, yeah, obviously Jon knows... but he's right that there were 50 boards made and I've only seen a handful show up in build reports.  It's certainly not because it isn't a great pedal.