News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590B - 6 knobs and 2 footswitches

Started by stevie1556, August 27, 2018, 08:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

I mentioned in another thread that I'm looking at making a compressor and chorus for my acoustic. I've found some circuits that I like the sound of, and at a push I think I can design them onto a board, including board mounted 9mm pots. In total I'll need 6 pots and 2 foot switches. If I put them into a 1590B (with the box in landscape), would it be too compact in terms of useability? Never attempted something like this before, and I don't have any 1590B enclosures to hand at the moment.

Scruffie

It depends... do you have the hands and feet of a toddler?
Works at Lectric-FX

BryGuy

A 1590BB may be a better option. I've got one that size with 5 knobs, 1 toggle switch and 2 stomp switches. It's fairly workable I find with my non-toddler hands/feet.  ;)

davent

I've used landscape 'BB' a few times for double footswitches and more pot and toggles then that and it's ideal and when all said and done a landscape 'B'  really doesn't save much space on that. Portrait 'BB' in my experience is very doable for double footswitches  as well.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

sjaustin

I wouldn't do it, but then I kinda hate building into cramped enclosures. A 1590BB is what I'd use too.

Something to consider beyond the build itself: I've found boxes that only take up one pedalboard rail in landscape are more annoying than useful. What do you put above it? Has to also be something else that only takes up one rail.

Willybomb

I've fitted a klon and a comp into a 125b (look the build reports for "Lightspeed"), and that required sandwiching the boards back to back.  I wouldn't bother with a 1590b, they're smaller again.

You should be able fit a Little Angel and an Afterlife into a 125b easy enough - although the LA is hardly a CE-2 in terms of chorus imo.

You'll fit them into a BB in portrait easy enough imo (I've done stacks of multis in BB), but an NS or XX (also in portrait) would be best.

stevie1556

Quote from: Scruffie on August 27, 2018, 08:23:10 AM
It depends... do you have the hands and feet of a toddler?

As a 6'3 tall guy, not really. Although I could then advertise it as kiddie friendly hahaha

Quote from: BryGuy on August 27, 2018, 09:39:07 AM
A 1590BB may be a better option. I've got one that size with 5 knobs, 1 toggle switch and 2 stomp switches. It's fairly workable I find with my non-toddler hands/feet.  ;)

I was just thinking of having it as small as possible, but like you say, when there is more then a certain number of controls then it's probably more economical to have the BB size.

Quote from: davent on August 27, 2018, 10:28:57 AM
I've used landscape 'BB' a few times for double footswitches and more pot and toggles then that and it's ideal and when all said and done a landscape 'B'  really doesn't save much space on that. Portrait 'BB' in my experience is very doable for double footswitches  as well.
dave

Haven't thought of it that way, but like you say it's definitely not that much more bigger. When you think of it like that it definitely makes more sense!

Quote from: sjaustin on August 27, 2018, 04:55:55 PM
I wouldn't do it, but then I kinda hate building into cramped enclosures. A 1590BB is what I'd use too.

Something to consider beyond the build itself: I've found boxes that only take up one pedalboard rail in landscape are more annoying than useful. What do you put above it? Has to also be something else that only takes up one rail.

Never even considered that as I don't have a pedalboard. I've literally just got a few pedals on the floor in front of my amp, and I swap them over with other ones sometimes. Maybe if I wasn't a bedroom player and actually going to gigs then I'd think of getting a pedalboard.

Quote from: Willybomb on August 27, 2018, 06:01:50 PM
I've fitted a klon and a comp into a 125b (look the build reports for "Lightspeed"), and that required sandwiching the boards back to back.  I wouldn't bother with a 1590b, they're smaller again.

You should be able fit a Little Angel and an Afterlife into a 125b easy enough - although the LA is hardly a CE-2 in terms of chorus imo.

You'll fit them into a BB in portrait easy enough imo (I've done stacks of multis in BB), but an NS or XX (also in portrait) would be best.

Never seen the size of the NS or XX enclosures, I'll have a look at them. I'm going to design the boards myself so the boards should have a rather small footprint.

My guitar teacher does a concert showing off his students once a year. It's mainly acoustic solo performances and 2 group songs, so that's the main reason for wanting it in a small enclosure so it's easier to just chuck in a bag.

I'll check out your build in a minute :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk