News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Most Popular Pedal Effect To Be Cloned

Started by chromesphere, September 12, 2018, 10:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you believe is the most popular pedal effect to be cloned?

Tubescreamer
31 (47.7%)
Fuzz Face
5 (7.7%)
Klon
5 (7.7%)
Mxr Dist+ / Ross Dist
1 (1.5%)
Fuzz Factory
0 (0%)
Big Muff Pi
18 (27.7%)
Tonebender
0 (0%)
Super Hard On
1 (1.5%)
Rat
1 (1.5%)
Other
3 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 65

chromesphere

Hey guys,

I'm piecing some info together for a pedal video i'm going to be recording soon "Top 10 most cloned pedal effects", something a bit different for the channel, and ive been thinking about this topic.  I was wondering what do you guys think is the pedal  most cloned from the choices above.  The ones you see talked about, build reports for, etc etc. The choices are my, well, top 9. 

I may change a couple of those done the track but i was curious to see what people thought.  And perhaps if there are any obvious, popular effects i missed?

So i should say, this relates to DIY builders, not commercially copied.  Also when i say "fuzz face" it incorporates all variants of the fuzz face (silicon germanium etc).

Let me know what you think.
Cheers
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

I'd say Big Muff. People usually build a Fuzz Face, a Klon, a LPB-1... but they also usually build at least two Muffs, since there is such an ungodly variety of Muff circuits.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

Surely it would have to be equal between the Tubescreamer, Big Muff, with the Gov'ner a distant third...

nocentelli

I think the fuzzface. It's very popular as a first build, presumably because newbies can't believe how simple it is for such an iconic circuit. DIY forums carry hundreds of threads about the 'face - Ge vs Si, biasing, hFe recommendations, oscillation at max gain, popular mods etc etc. Also, despite having half a dozen fuzzes on my pedalboard I still always get the breadboard out when the schematic for a "new" boutique FF-based pedal comes to light to try out these new tweaks.

T_MBaker

I agree with Alan, I've built a few Big Muffs for myself. It also seems to be the most common build as a present/product for family, friends, friends of friends, band mates etc etc

juansolo

I've made more muffs and klons than anything else. Muffs for the variety, klons because everybody bought into the hype and wanted one.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Betty Wont

Quote from: chromesphere on September 12, 2018, 10:27:28 PM

So i should say, this relates to DIY builders, not commercially copied.  Also when i say "fuzz face" it incorporates all variants of the fuzz face (silicon germanium etc).

IMO the Fuzz Factory is a Fuzz Face variant. By far i've built and sold more Tubescreamers than anything else on that list.

lars

I chose "other", because of the Wah. Pretty much every version of the Wah you can think of is a clone of the original, patented Thomas Organ design (even the holy grail Clyde McCoy is a pretty much a clone, not the original design). The shear number of Wah clones by various builders and manufacturers out there is staggering to consider. But, I guess the pedal that inspired individuals and companies to clone it even to the point of fraud, means nothing. It's not even on the radar. Whatever. I guarantee there are more Wahs on pedalboards and gear setups than any of the pedals on the list.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

somnif

I would put my money on the Big Muff, because even clone pedals that aren't big muffs probably have a BMP tone stack.

Scruffie

I'd say it's varied depending on the time, in the early 90s of DIY, the fuzz face and tube screamer were probably the big builds and big muffs hadn't quite got the following they do now and vintage units weren't commanding the high prices they are. Now it's probably between the fuzz face and big muff depending on the music style of the builder... older guys are probably still going for the fuzz face but younger builders go for the big muff as a lot of their pick of the month boutique fuzzes are based on it.
Works at Lectric-FX

Frag Magnet

Hey guys,

I'm piecing some info together for a pedal video i'm going to be recording soon "Top 10 most cloned pedal effects", something a bit different for the channel, and ive been thinking about this topic.  I was wondering what do you guys think is the pedal  most cloned from the choices above.  The ones you see talked about, build reports for, etc etc. The choices are my, well, top 9. 

I may change a couple of those done the track but i was curious to see what people thought.  And perhaps if there are any obvious, popular effects i missed?

Cheers
Put any thought into asking Madbean, BYOC, etc. what their highest selling projects are?
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

chromesphere

Quote from: Frag Magnet on September 13, 2018, 03:47:09 PM
Hey guys,

Cheers
Put any thought into asking Madbean, BYOC, etc. what their highest selling projects are?

Thats sort of "trade secret", i dont think they should share that information.

selfdestroyer

I figured since it seemed everyone was on the Centaur train it would be the Klon. But, thats just recent years.. I think the BMP is pretty high up there.

jimilee

Maybe we could design a hybrid klon tubescreamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

chromesphere

Quote from: jimilee on September 13, 2018, 04:53:18 PM
Maybe we could design a hybrid klon tubescreamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...using germanium transistors and a BMP tone control?  :D