News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

loris question

Started by lloyd17, October 08, 2011, 12:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd17

So I am building the Slow Loris and I didn't order up any 30pf caps. Can I sub in a 50pf or would it be better to tie two 50pf in series for a closer match to the original value?

jkokura

I think in the purpose it's being used for, up to about 100pF won't produce a discernible difference. After that it may not be detectable either.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

lloyd17

Thanks guys, I'll likely pull the 50pf and toss in some sockets.

jkokura

Shoot - I thought he meant C4... yes, C4 can be anything up to about 100pF without causing any difference in sound. The 30pF is a different sort of thing. Socketing is a great idea.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

lloyd17

Thanks again guys, your tips were dead on. I pulled the 50pf I had in there and installed some sockets. Since I am too lazy to head out to the electroshop for a couple ceramics I played around with series/parallel values and settles on 3 47pf in series for around 16pf total and wow, what a difference. The sweet spot on the cut control is now around 11 o'clock rather than 8 and the ruetz never gets muddy. Perfect!  I could see making a switching mod out of this: brighter for humbuckers and darker for single coils.

jimmybjj

glad it worked out for you. I was surprise how much of a difference that cap made.
Pcbs no longer available