News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best hookup wire source

Started by p_wats, September 18, 2018, 09:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p_wats

My favourite hookup wire to use is Barry's from Guitarpcb.com, but he has limited orders for that to USA only, based on shipping costs to Canada.

Anybody know of any alternatives for good tinned, stranded wire that is bendable, but solid and reliable? I'm open to other options too, but really like this wire. Thanks!

Betty Wont

I really like the #22 pre-bond that Small Bear carries.

pickdropper

Quote from: Torgoslayer on September 18, 2018, 10:02:27 AM
I really like the #22 pre-bond that Small Bear carries.

I like the #24 version of that stuff.  I'm sure both work similarly.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Guitar PCH has some of the best wire available on IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

p_wats

Nice. Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't seen the pre-bond Smallbear stuff and looks like they have several spool size options, which is helpful.

Wish I could still get Barry's, but if the Smallbear stuff compares well it will also be much cheaper.

Betty Wont

Quote from: p_wats on September 18, 2018, 12:17:36 PM
Nice. Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't seen the pre-bond Smallbear stuff and looks like they have several spool size options, which is helpful.

Wish I could still get Barry's, but if the Smallbear stuff compares well it will also be much cheaper.
I've tried both. The conductors are comparable, but i prefer the small bear insulation.

sjaustin

We did a series of group buys for some wire from a forum member (T-Diddy) at BYOC. It's the best wire I've ever used, bar none. As good as Barry's, but a gauge or two thicker. (No offense to Barry, of course; I just prefer larger wire and larger eyelets for that matter.) I'm almost out of one of my colors and have been thinking about contacting him. I haven't seen him post in quite some time though.

Edit: I emailed him to inquire.

jimilee

Quote from: sjaustin on September 18, 2018, 03:46:49 PM
We did a series of group buys for some wire from a forum member (T-Diddy) at BYOC. It's the best wire I've ever used, bar none. As good as Barry's, but a gauge or two thicker. (No offense to Barry, of course; I just prefer larger wire and larger eyelets for that matter.) I'm almost out of one of my colors and have been thinking about contacting him. I haven't seen him post in quite some time though.

This is the best wire evar! It does feel more solid and breaks less.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

tcpoint

http://www.ebaystores.com/Johns-Silver-Plated-PTFE-Wire-Shop This is the stuff I use.  It's a little harder to strip but you can't melt the insulation with your soldering iron.

emakris

Hi,

Smallbear pre-bond is what I use and used for 10+ years. If you are building amps though, use the aerospace grade teflon coated wire from tubedepot. The teflon is extremely hard to strip and is not a pre-bond, but the coating will not melt and the wire is excellent.

Thanks
Ernie
https://www.geargasstore.com

p_wats

Quote from: jimilee on September 18, 2018, 04:21:21 PM

Good to know! Would be interested if he does another group buy.

Quote from: emakris on September 19, 2018, 07:24:13 AM
Hi,

Smallbear pre-bond is what I use and used for 10+ years. If you are building amps though, use the aerospace grade teflon coated wire from tubedepot. The teflon is extremely hard to strip and is not a pre-bond, but the coating will not melt and the wire is excellent.

Thanks
Ernie
https://www.geargasstore.com

Thanks! I've built a few amps, but nothing in the pipe for now. Good to know for later though.

davent

Quote from: tcpoint on September 19, 2018, 06:43:33 AM
http://www.ebaystores.com/Johns-Silver-Plated-PTFE-Wire-Shop This is the stuff I use.  It's a little harder to strip but you can't melt the insulation with your soldering iron.

I've ordered shielded wire here and had no issues with shipping to Canada at the time.  Also no problem with getting PTFE from Apex Jr. shipped to Canada.. Not bonded but my first choice is always going to be PTFE insulated wire. He has solid core as well.

http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

The wire Chromesphere sells (DIYGP.au) is also pretty nice. I like that, and the Smallbear pre-bonded stuff.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

sjaustin

Quote from: p_wats on September 19, 2018, 08:01:03 AM
Quote from: jimilee on September 18, 2018, 04:21:21 PM

Good to know! Would be interested if he does another group buy.
I got a quote from Trevor for his wire, because I am almost out of green and yellow, two of the four colors I regularly use. Unfortunately you have to buy 500 feet of the stuff to make it affordable.

His price is $120 per 500 foot roll, plus shipping to me or whomever would run the buy. They have green, yellow, red, and black in stock. That works out to $24 plus shipping for 100 feet, $12 for 50. If I decided to do this, I wouldn't go any less than 50 foot lengths, just too much measuring and cutting and packaging.

I'm not sure I have it in me to run a group buy right now, but... maybe.