News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NMD (LCR meter)

Started by EBK, October 03, 2018, 08:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Just got this LCR meter today:

I already had the PEAK atlas semiconductor tester, which has been a godsend for checking transistors and LEDs.  I wanted a high quality capacitor checker, so went with this, and I'm happy so far.
Here is the reported data for a random 1000pF ceramic cap (I probably should have used the HOLD function before taking the pics -- oh well):

Perhaps more info than I generally need for stompbox building, but I like data.   ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

If your house is -89 degrees, you need to invest in a space heater. Or an exorcist.

Or move to someplace that isn't Antarctica...   ???

alanp

Oh, nice! How accurate is it? I seem to recall something about capacitance meters playing merry hell with the capacitance in the measuring leads, themselves...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

ahiddentableau

Those meters are super cool.  Whenever I look at them I always want them, but realistically I can't justify it.  If I even start thinking otherwise the Scottish half of my blood rears up and reminds me that I'm too damn cheap to pony up the money for them!

EBK

Quote from: alanp on October 03, 2018, 09:54:06 PM
Oh, nice! How accurate is it? I seem to recall something about capacitance meters playing merry hell with the capacitance in the measuring leads, themselves...
There's a probe calibration mode, but I imagine low pF measurements could still be squirrelly. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

nzCdog

Ooh that does look lovely!  8) 
I just bought a very cheap tester with similar functions.  Doesn't seem particularly accurate, but really handy nonetheless.

EBK

More info on the precision and accuracy:

stringsthings

There's lots of documents floating around the internet with info on how to
build your own cap meter.   

I'm far too lazy for that.   I like cheese and biscuits when I'm away from my kitty cat too long.
wait.  I forgot.  I like me as you are he and me is she and we is all together.  sitting in a cornflake
stupid bloody tuesday man, you let your knickers down ....
All You Need Is Love

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website