News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedalboard rebuild Time!

Started by jkokura, October 04, 2018, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Hardcore rebuild happening.

Got a new pedal in, thought I'd try it out, and decided to go up from my PT-Jr I was running a long while, and get up to the PT-3 again. There is no extra space on this one...

Of note, I'm down for finding another overdrive. I have a pedal on there that Pickdropper did the enclosure on, and I want to put it back on another board, so, if anyone has a really good overdrive they want to trade... the kicker is that it has to be 125B sized with top mount jacks. Fancy enclosures/art is always fun...

But on to the build. The board is a PT-3 from Pedaltrain, and I'm trying to power it all off one Voodoo Lab 4x4 power unit. Signal chain is:
Barber Tone Press > Musicomlab EFX MkIV - Loop 1: Micro POG; Loop 2: ClusterFuzz; Loop 3: ARC Big Green; Loop 4: Skreddy Clone; Loop 4: Honeydrive Clone; Loop 6: Klon Clone; Volume Loop: EB Jr; Loop 7: Empress Tremolo; Loop 8: CE-2 Clone; Loop 9: TimeLine; Loop 10: BigSky

With the lack of space and the tight jacks on the EFX MkIV, I have to make new cables. I decided to order these new Square Plugs from Redco, and some Mogami 2314. They're in the mail. I also have to finish up the power wiring. I have two sets of pedals that are grouped on a couple of the 4x4 channels. I'm worried about how much I'm gonna make that power unit work.

I'll try an upload some images. I'll have more as I build.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Looks great, Jacob.  I'm curious about your experience with the Square Plugs.  I've been meaning to order some, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sjaustin

Nice board! Also interested to read more about the square plugs.

My favorite overdrive is the Dirty Little Secret Mk1 (RIP, Madbean Grapevine). I have only one built up, and I'm not able to let it go right now. Another recent favorite is the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe, which yes is a fuzz but can definitely give excellent overdrive tones when biased in that direction.

jkokura

Quote from: pickdropper on October 04, 2018, 06:38:35 PM
Looks great, Jacob.  I'm curious about your experience with the Square Plugs.  I've been meaning to order some, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Quote from: sjaustin on October 04, 2018, 06:58:13 PM

I'll post some picks and some experience when they get here. Redco is slow in shipping them, so not till next week, and then hopefully I'll have some time to get some thoughts together shortly.

My favorite overdrive is the Dirty Little Secret Mk1 (RIP, Madbean Grapevine). I have only one built up, and I'm not able to let it go right now. Another recent favorite is the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe, which yes is a fuzz but can definitely give excellent overdrive tones when biased in that direction.

I have built the DLS, and it's not for me. The Clone I built in Dave's enclosure is a similar Fuzz becomes Overdrive pedal.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on October 04, 2018, 07:08:48 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 04, 2018, 06:38:35 PM

I'll post some picks and some experience when they get here. Redco is slow in shipping them, so not till next week, and then hopefully I'll have some time to get some thoughts together shortly.

I have built the DLS, and it's not for me. The Clone I built in Dave's enclosure is a similar Fuzz becomes Overdrive pedal.

Jacob

Just curious, why not build another Skreddy?  Or are you looking for more of a dedicated overdrive?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

Quote from: pickdropper on October 04, 2018, 08:36:16 PM
Just curious, why not build another Skreddy?  Or are you looking for more of a dedicated overdrive?

It's an idea, but I don't know if I want to build a duplicate pedal for my personal collection anymore. I used to have a couple copies of different things, and I largely give them or sell them, and try something else. I think more than anything I'm looking for something different than what I have.

Also part of what makes me excited about this rebuild is getting the Clusterfuzz on there. I like the pedal, but it was always pushed off the board because of it's weird orientation and it's the 3rd or 4th sound I would want. Now I can get it on there because of the setup of the board. I think I want to replace that Green Fuzz pedal with something that's also different than the overdrives, the Muff, and the Cluster. Maybe something high gain/metal?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Frag Magnet

After all the pedals I've built/acquired, I keep going back to a version of the OG Kingslayer for my main overdrive.

[shrug]
Careful what you wish for, friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

jkokura

So the order from Redco came in. I spent a good number of hours making custom cables, but I have this thing fully wired up now. As you can tell, I'm pretty picky about how it gets wired, but it's looking good thus far.

Also, Squareplugs are a dream. Working with the Mogami and these plugs have been super easy and smooth, and I love them. Plus, they are sooo small, thinner and smaller than any plug I've ever worked with. Awesome plugs feel really strong and very well made. Full endorsement at this point.

Pictures to follow.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

matmosphere

So wait are you building the board on the card table or from the card table, I'm a little confused.  ;D

Looks great btw.

jkokura

Here's some pics!

Jacob

(On the table Mat)
JMK PCBs *New Website*

nzCdog

Wow that's s huge board!  Really tidy job, looks great! 

Muadzin

I love the clean cable routing on your board. Sheer awesome sauce. It generally looks awesome to begin with. Nice, slick, clean. Although I reckon if you had just gotten a Helix, AX-8 or a GT-1000 you'd probably spent as much as you do now on pedals, board and cabling, sans all the hassle of wiring it up, and with less chance of a catastrophic pedal board failure happening.

playpunk

Nice! I am deconverting from Kemper + remote to my big bird. No switcher for me though, and a Selah Quartz for midi.

Just need to get a couple more pedals finished and I'll be wiring everything up.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Wow Jacob, that came out great. Looking at the underside of yours compared to mine makes me want to set mine on fire and rebuild. I have such commitment issues my main pedal board. I seem to move stuff to often to zip tie the underside... but it sure looks pretty.

jkokura

Quote from: selfdestroyer on October 14, 2018, 02:51:00 AM
Wow Jacob, that came out great. Looking at the underside of yours compared to mine makes me want to set mine on fire and rebuild. I have such commitment issues my main pedal board. I seem to move stuff to often to zip tie the underside... but it sure looks pretty.

It's out of necessity. I have done a few of these boards over the years, and if you don't get everything tied down tight, it's a mess to try and work on if something goes wrong or needs replacing.

I also have commitment issues, but I put enough slack in on a few things that I think I'll be able to swap in options at a later date. I have a pretty specific penchant for specific layouts when I build, so what ever I might build in the future should be able to fit on there.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*