Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1988 West Coast Session Drive

Started by Marshall Arts, October 06, 2018, 01:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

Marshall Arts

Thanks for all the kind words, folks! It will likely be my submission for the BOTY 2018, but looking at Lee's latest build, I am wondering if I should go back to pedal-building-school...

m-Kresol

this is great all around! We see way to little P2P builds
How did you do the colouring of the sides of the enclosure? It looks so continuous.  ???
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Marshall Arts

Quote from: m-Kresol on October 11, 2018, 10:57:20 AM
this is great all around! We see way to little P2P builds
How did you do the colouring of the sides of the enclosure? It looks so continuous.  ???
Thanks... The enclosure is spray painted using flexible curve masking tape :-)

reddesert

Nice font!

Also, style points for SMD on eyelet board.

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Willybomb

QuoteBOTY!

Judging by what's come out in the last couple of days, it looks like people are keeping their best builds for last.  It's going to be another tight competition this year.

nzCdog

So creative!  Really impressive project, love the work you've done on finishing it... fun to see that eyelet layout too , 10/10  8)

movinginslomo

ooh this is so good. Love it. Great fiberboard and eyelet work, great theme and graphics, clean build. Actually too nice for the 80's, should be black plastic with basic lettering and a flimsy battery door.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: movinginslomo on January 03, 2019, 02:22:17 PM
ooh this is so good. Love it. Great fiberboard and eyelet work, great theme and graphics, clean build. Actually too nice for the 80's, should be black plastic with basic lettering and a flimsy battery door.
You are right. Next year... :-)

jjjimi84

That thing is seriously amazing, nice job.

fatpants

:o
Wow, I came to see some amazing builds form you guys on this forum (as always), this one is ridiculously amazing, but when I saw the video (in the 2018 BOTY thread) and heard your playing dude? Wow!
I was about to make a Zendrive for the 10th time to try and nail that Robben Ford tone or at least come close, but you've changed my mind. I'm building the ROG Umble now PTP style.
You sir, not only have amazing creative building skills but also superb playing skills, and magic fingers!
What amp and guitar on that demo video if you don't mind me geeking out here?

Marshall Arts

Quote from: fatpants on January 12, 2019, 12:50:06 PM
:o
Wow, I came to see some amazing builds form you guys on this forum (as always), this one is ridiculously amazing, but when I saw the video (in the 2018 BOTY thread) and heard your playing dude? Wow!
I was about to make a Zendrive for the 10th time to try and nail that Robben Ford tone or at least come close, but you've changed my mind. I'm building the ROG now PTP style.
You sir, not only have amazing creative building skills but also superb playing skills, and magic fingers!
What amp and guitar on that demo video if you don't mind me geeking out here?

Thank you very much. I actually have a zendrive and like it very much as well, but see the ROG Umble as a different flavor. Not better or worse, just different. I guess, you need both ;-). I think, that the P2P aspect is not that relevant soundwise, I just wanted to do it that way ;-)

Concerning the Amp, I must admit, that I besides the umble, everything else is done with an Line 6 HX Stomp. The Amp Model is a Fender Twin with the default 2x12" open back cabinet with some added delay and reverb, if I remember correctly. The backing track comes from a cell phone fed into the HX as well. The video is recorded with a second cell phone, the audio sum is fed into the phone using an iRig Audio interface.

fatpants

Thanks for that info Marshall Arts, you've just proved what we all know deep inside - it's all in the fingers (not the equipment you use) but we still like to play with our little toys right?
Makes sense about the amp settings on your Line 6 though - Robben was using twins as backline a lot with the Zendrive (at one live gig I even saw him use two Super Reverbs in stereo), and kicking in just the Zendrive once in a while. What an awesome tone.
And I know the PTP has no big influence on the sound, but it looks so cool and vintage, and I have some parts for that laying around. Thanks for the info and the inspiration. So many great builders and inspiring threads here it's ridiculous. Thanks guys
Cheers