News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can you hook a brother up?

Started by Ekimneets, October 09, 2018, 06:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekimneets

I won't say I'm a guitarist. I defile my poor guitar. The only semblance of music I can make is running up and down the fretboard on drop D.

I'm trying though. A friend thought that learning jumping jack flash would be good, but I can't find a decent beginners guitar tab for the life of me.

Can someone point me in the direction of one?

I'm serious about how bad I am. Imagine a mummy and a zombie having a baby and the baby tried to play guitar. I am so ham handed that I can't believe I don't break strings every time I bang away.

-Mike
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

somnif

Quote from: Ekimneets on October 09, 2018, 06:30:22 PM
I'm serious about how bad I am. Imagine a mummy and a zombie having a baby and the baby tried to play guitar. I am so ham handed that I can't believe I don't break strings every time I bang away.

Just do what I do, play with a cello bow, and layer on so much reverb and delay that you sound like a stoned blue whale experiencing nirvana in the worlds largest shower stall!

Can't help with the tab though, every time I think of that song, all that comes to mind is the silly 80's Whoopie Goldberg movie that my mom would watch all the time.

reddesert

I'm not near a guitar right now to try it out, but how about this one: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/the_rolling_stones/jumpin_jack_flash_tabs_175610

In particular there's a bar labeled "Guitar 1 and 2" at the end of the Intro, and that repeats under Verse 1. It is shown on frets 2 and 4 of the A-D-G strings, and is the "do-do, da-da-da, da-da-da" riff that instantly sounds like Jumpin' Jack Flash (IMO).  You might find it easier to play on the 7 and 9 frets of the E-A-D strings.

I'm a terrible guitar player, and my strategy is usually to practice that one characteristic riff to get it right, play the chords in rhythm, and let the more complex details slide.

Ekimneets

Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.