News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can’t graphic, need help?

Started by Ekimneets, October 13, 2018, 11:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekimneets

Coming up with the graphics is something I can figure out. i've Got a graphics program and it's tedious, but I can do it.

As for actually getting the graphics onto the enclosure, I've had some enclosures printed, but it's really expensive.

Etching looks cool, but not really my thing.

I've tried waterslide, but I've got a tremor which makes it frustrating.

I have almost resorted to stickers.

I'm sure there is another method I just don't know what that is.

Could anyone point me in the direction of another method that is more forgiving than waterslide?

-Mike
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

cooder

I have used clear stickers in the past and I don't think it's that bad. What I used and probably will use again at some point is clear laser self adhesive foil I got from the local copy shop, got good results with that but it needs some sort of protection if you want it lasting well. I did it for example under acrylic faceplates. Works good.
But I found the sticker almost less forgiving than the water slide that I am using now, maybe it's also a matter of what brand of waterslide decal you use?
I prefer to use the water slide decal now and I find I can push it a bit around to get it sitting right wjereas with the slef adhesive clear foil it was a matter of getting it right first time or you're stuffed...
I use this decal material and dig it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunnyscopa-Laser-Decal-Paper-Standard-Clear-11x8-5-10-sheets/132629538222?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dcbab31cf1f9f4f0ab4fe463f8302636c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162941323464%26itm%3D132629538222&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Still needs something to protect it, I do the acrylic faceplate over top.
Hope that helps a bit.
BigNoise Amplification

Ekimneets

Again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for and I've already got a laser printer.

What thickness acrylic do you use and where do you get it from?

-Mike

Willybomb

If you have a laser printer, I'd suggest Datapol sticker paper.  It's water proof, takes clearcoat fantastically, great colours, but you only get one chance to get it on square as it will stretch if you try and take it off.  If you're interested I can detail more about my methods of applying it.

I've attached a pic, but if you look at my builds, pretty much anything in the last 2-3 years have been finished with it.

https://everylabels.com.au/datapol-synthetic-white-labels

gordo

If positioning the waterslide is a problem try using a drop of dish soap in the decal water and make sure the enclosure is wet with the same water.  It's kind of the same approach as getting your car windows tinted.  The soap breaks the surface tension and keeps the decal maneuverable until the water is gone.

I've had really nice results with Smallbear's clear laser film although two things are worth noting: it has a protective film of thin paper on it (I have to remind myself to remove it), and the toner will come off if handled too much.  Once it's dry though, a few coats of clear will set it and make the colors and/or black really pop. 
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Ekimneets

willybomb, Is love to know how you apply it. I'd like to try several different methods and see what works best for me.

Gordo, that was the methodology Imused before. Problem is I have this fairly significant tremor in both hands. So, not only is it difficult just to get the waterslide started, it's hard to get to the point where you stop it from moving and lastly to move my hands away without distorting the waterslide are all problems.

Even with these other methods being mentioned, I will probabl1y have to make a rig to hold the sticker and another to bring the enclosure up and onto the sticker. Just to sort of isolate my hands from marrying those two.

Thanks everybody.

-M

jjjimi84

Or if there is anything you want hand painted just shoot me a pm.

Ekimneets

Wow, I don't know what to say jjjimi84.

I guess thx is first.

That is incredibly generous of you.

If I can't get these other things to work then I will take you up on your offer and I can pay you/trade with you.

Just not what you are worth, I'm sure?

That having been said, I'll try not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Just another simple, Thanks.

-Mike

Ekimneets

Willybomb, I'm going to have to wait on those at $80 USD as far as I can tell.

That sucks, cause it looks simple and elegant. Oh well. I'll try and stop spending and save some.

-M

jjjimi84

Quote from: Ekimneets on October 14, 2018, 10:14:52 AM
Wow, I don't know what to say jjjimi84.

I guess thx is first.

That is incredibly generous of you.

If I can't get these other things to work then I will take you up on your offer and I can pay you/trade with you.

Just not what you are worth, I'm sure?

That having been said, I'll try not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Just another simple, Thanks.

-Mike

If you have seen my work then you know that for the low price of a gumball is what it is worth.

In all seriousness, for anyone who reads this, just pay for return shipping and have an idea and i am game.

Ekimneets

It's a lot better than you think it is. I'm one of those that likes Banksy as much as Rodin. I value the non-traditional and I will be taking you up on your offer.

I just have to finish a couple of runs and then pick one of the 20mprojects I'm working on.

Thanks again.

-Mike

davent

Quote from: Ekimneets on October 14, 2018, 04:14:33 PM
It's a lot better than you think it is. I'm one of those that likes Banksy as much as Rodin. I value the non-traditional and I will be taking you up on your offer.

I just have to finish a couple of runs and then pick one of the 20mprojects I'm working on.

Thanks again.

-Mike

I kinda like Banksy too, acrylic paints, wet toner transfer, stencils, airbrushes, paintbrushes, anything i can move paint with.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Willybomb

QuoteWillybomb, I'm going to have to wait on those at $80 USD as far as I can tell.

That's a shame.  My printshop charges me about $17 for "setup" (yeah, ok, print up my pdf with no adjustments necessary) and $2 per sheet.  I usually get a couple of designs done to a page, and a duplicate of each because something will mess up somewhere usually and I usually have a few pedals ready to go as I don't want to spend $17 per pedal...

I will, once the box is drilled and primed, cut a smallish corner off the sticker backing and hold the box up to a window, or turn the light on my iphone on and put that under the box, and line up the holes with the labels.  When I'm sure it's lined up, I press that corner down, and then roll the backing off while sliding across the sticker to keep it smooth and prevent air bubbles.  You will need to knock the top off your box with some sandpaper though as it will show up any dust or bumps that are underneath the sticker.  After that I just give it a couple of clear coats.

It's a pain and easy to muck up, but I think the results are worth it.

Ekimneets

Willybomb, I'm definitely going to try them as soon as I can afford it. It sounds like how I apply stickers and that something I can do with this stupid tremor.

I've already messed up so much on the build I'm Working on right now, it is really exaspirating >:(. And the water slides are bunk too, at lest for me.

I now have three finishes in the que now. The hand painting by jjjim84, the laser print. Labels with acrylic on top and your labels with clear coat. That gives me a place to start.

Thanks again everybody

-m