News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mic to pedal/pedal to mixer

Started by rmfroyd, October 15, 2018, 09:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmfroyd

I have a buddy that wants me to make a custom pedal for him, he play saxophone and sings in a band.

Here is what he would like

XLR in>>>>Delay Pedal>>>>>>Wah>>>>XLR out.

So, the XLR in is coming in balanced, I hook up pin 1 of the XLR jack to ground, and pin 2 of the xlr jack to input.  Now the signal is unbalanced.  It goes through the delay and wah and then if I build a H&K redbox classic circuit, it should then convert that signal from unbalanced to balanced and everything can go to the mixer board like it is supposed to correct?

lrgaraujo

I believe (but I might be wrong) that you should put a low noise mic preamp before the delay and wah. Other than that, I would try a DI without a cab sim (if I'm not mistaken the redbox is cab sim+DI).

Willybomb

In our ghetto praco setup, we actually run a vocal mic to a behringer reverb pedal using a balanced to unbalanced cable, and from there to small behringer mixer using a guitar lead to a line in.  Seems to work ok.

Aentons

rmfroyd

Quote from: Aentons on October 16, 2018, 09:23:40 AM
Not all in one but prob cheaper

I like the way you think, a lot cheaper, not to mention a lot easier! 

This is one of those projects that someone won't take no for an answer....

ahiddentableau

Curious.  The part I'm having a hard time understanding is why he insists upon an XLR out.  Wouldn't it be easier to just use a 1/4"?  It's going to be unbalanced out and it's hitting the mixer either way, so what's the point of taking that last step?  Just go 1/4" and bring the level up in the mixer.  Or is it not going to a mixer and he needs a balanced level signal from the XLR for some other reason?

On the other hand, I seem to remember reading about how to wire an unbalanced to balanced 3 conductor connector for better noise rejection, but I've never actually tried the thing myself.

Note: I looked it up, it's fig. 2 on this page:
https://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/audio/connecting_unbalanced_outputs_to_balanced_inputs_and_vice_versa/2/

rmfroyd

Quote from: ahiddentableau on October 16, 2018, 01:43:55 PM
Curious.  The part I'm having a hard time understanding is why he insists upon an XLR out.  Wouldn't it be easier to just use a 1/4"?  It's going to be unbalanced out and it's hitting the mixer either way, so what's the point of taking that last step?  Just go 1/4" and bring the level up in the mixer.  Or is it not going to a mixer and he needs a balanced level signal from the XLR for some other reason?

On the other hand, I seem to remember reading about how to wire an unbalanced to balanced 3 conductor connector for better noise rejection, but I've never actually tried the thing myself.

Note: I looked it up, it's fig. 2 on this page:
https://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/audio/connecting_unbalanced_outputs_to_balanced_inputs_and_vice_versa/2/

I think because has never tried it any other way. 

I forwarded him a link to the TV helicon play electric.  It should do everything he needs and more.  He can run his six mic through the guitar input, his mic through the mic in, get a balanced signal out.....and it removes me from the equation, lol.

lrgaraujo

If you really want to stick to the "Mic to pedal/pedal to mixer" formula, there is the Pigtronix Keymaster. Schematics are available (not sure if verified) in another forum.