News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

guitar input -> USB-C recommendations

Started by mjg, October 23, 2018, 02:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

My 6 year old laptop has started to have issues, so I'm going to replace it. :( 

The old laptop had an audio line-in socket.  Worked great for occasional recording of the guitar. 

New laptops all seem to be USB-C.  It's the way of the future apparently. 

I'm looking for recommendations for a USB-C to line-in or guitar in converter thing.  Doesn't have to be super high professional quality.  Something that works with Garage Band on the Mac if possible (but I imagine pretty much anything that presents an audio source via USB will work?)

mjg

Oh, and I'll probably get some USB-C to USB 3 connectors anyway,  so recommendations for any sort of USB guitar input appreciated.  Doesn't have to be USB-C specifically I guess.

jkokura

Isn't USB-C the same as thunderbolt port? There are several devices that I think might work. Check all the specs on the Presonus/M-Audio/whoeverelsemakesthemthesedays interfaces.

I like Presonus gear, but that's because it meets my needs in my price range.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sjaustin

My laptop is all USB-C. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with a standard USB cable and an adapter. Works great.

Aentons

Quote from: mjg on October 23, 2018, 02:37:02 PM
Oh, and I'll probably get some USB-C to USB 3 connectors anyway

USB-C is a physical connection type
USB 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 are transfer rate standards

Most anyrhing with a USB-C port is generally USB 3.x capable. But it is possible to connect a USB 2 device such as an audio interface to a USB-C port

Quote from: jkokura on October 23, 2018, 03:14:58 PM
Isn't USB-C the same as thunderbolt port?

USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 cables are cross compatible, but the USB 3 and Thunderbolt standards are different and not compatible. You may have some devices that seemingly work with both if that device has core driver compatibility.

...Just a word of caution when selecting an interface.

BTW, I use a Roland DUO-CAPTURE EX USB Interface since it works with my old iPad and my PC

mjg

Cool, thanks, I'll check out those suggestions. 

Thanks for the clarification too. Where I said USB 3 I should have said USB-A. The form factor, not the protocol. 

It's 'awesome' how thunderbolt 2 had the same form factor as mini display port,  but wasn't necessarily the same... And now thunderbolt 3 does the same trick with USB-C.  I think the MacBook is USB-C only, the MacBook Pro is thunderbolt 3 + USB-C.  Confused yet?