News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

anyone here replace a TDK inductor with a whipple?

Started by movinginslomo, October 19, 2018, 06:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movinginslomo

Ordered one but I'm wondering what kind of fit it will be.

m-Kresol

what's wrong with the TDK one?
and what's a whipple? google led me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreaticoduodenectomy as a first hit (in german though)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

movinginslomo

oh sorry Whipple inductor from www.dandyjob.com It is a facsimile of the halo inductors used in the original 60's wahs. I bought it in a package with a ICAR-taper pot with a sealed back cover (should help seal out the crud form getting int here, and again has a vintage 60's style taper)

The TDK inductor just sounds lackluster to me. Someone people love them though. I did a whipple swap on a friends crybaby and it sounded rad and I wanted to do one for myself.

movinginslomo

Parts came today this should be interesting... as the whipple's pins do NOT match the through-hole pin spacing of the TDK. Gah I had a feeling. How am I going to mount this thing. It also comes with some resistors if one wants to swap but with the original carbon comps in there I want to replace the pot and inductor first then decide if I want to go further. It is my understanding resistors do not wear out over time? (besides being possibly out of spec)

m-Kresol

I've never heard of resistors (or inductors for that matter) changing their electriconic characteristics over time (under normal conditions, i.e. room temperature...)
as far as I know only electrolytic caps degrade over time as the electrolyte will slowly dry out and the cap increases in serial resistance, heats up and can fail. Also, it will loose its ability for self healing (for voltage surges etc.)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

somnif

Yeah, anyone evangelizing over the acoustic merits of resistors needs to read up on the placebo effect.

Outside the typically wider tolerances of carbon comps, you're not going to see any appreciable difference in audio properties at effect pedal scale.

That's not to say there aren't ANY differences, they differ slightly in inductance, capacitance, and in response to thermal variances. But these differences really only appear in high frequency, high voltage (~100V), and/or high stress situations you are unlikely to ever see in a stomp box.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm

movinginslomo

Resistors are resistors, but I'd rather not replace them if they still function.

movinginslomo

K this crusty old board is falling apart. crusty solder, crusty solder poles releasing from their crusty solder glopped board connections, frayed old wire (previously twine wrapped old skool style) pads falling off, etc. I'm thinking it would be easier to start from scratch with a more mod friendly DIY board. Any other good recommendations beside the weener? Though the weener would cover all my bases.

timbo_93631

Just use the weener wah?  Swap components from the vintage board, sell the TDK (I think of them as the funk/disco inductor, personally really like them) and the Weener has the correct pads for the Whipple...
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

movinginslomo

Quote from: timbo_93631 on October 24, 2018, 07:49:11 PM
Just use the weener wah?  Swap components from the vintage board, sell the TDK (I think of them as the funk/disco inductor, personally really like them) and the Weener has the correct pads for the Whipple...

TDK funk disco you say.. That is actually the sound I'm after, and was never satisfied with the TDK. Maybe it's just a matter of finding a right Q value with the thing. I originally got the thing to do a 70's funk thing and it never gave it to me. Strat, clean amp, etc.  Think Love unlimited orchestra "love's theme" or  Joe Raposo's Three's company theme.. (or his work on sesame street)

timbo_93631

Quote from: movinginslomo on October 25, 2018, 03:40:29 AM
Quote from: timbo_93631 on October 24, 2018, 07:49:11 PM

TDK funk disco you say.. That is actually the sound I'm after, and was never satisfied with the TDK. Maybe it's just a matter of finding a right Q value with the thing. I originally got the thing to do a 70's funk thing and it never gave it to me. Strat, clean amp, etc.  Think Love unlimited orchestra "love's theme" or  Joe Raposo's Three's company theme.. (or his work on sesame street)

I used to do a lot of true bypass conversions right before I joined up here and started building pedals from scratch, I'm not sure exactly how many, but I do remember that it was upwards of 50, about half bringing Vox V847's to vintage spec, and th other half modding vintage Thomas Organ Crybaby's, with a few nice Italian Crybaby's and Vox's here and there.  The TDK always had the most funk/disco tone to me, and from what I recall the changes that made it even more so to me were as follows:
1k5 resistor, swap to 2k or 2k2, this brings out the mids
390 ohm resistor should be 390, sometimes you see 470 or 510, Whipple suggests 330, but 390 was right on for me
33k resistor across inductor, swap for 68k (use the resistor that you replace with 56k if doing true bypass)
The single most important thing to me, trim the heel down rubber bumper with a brand new razor blade so it is just barely above flush with the rocker, then adjust the pot gear so it is 1 tooth back from max at full toe down/switch engaged position.

This gave me the best sweep as well as the best transition from low to high. 

Also, the front rubber bumpers are designed to pad pretty vigorous movement without accidentally switching the wah on and off, I always used a fresh set of Dunlop replacements attached with Gorilla glue and the switch height placed just right to require a good amount of pressure to activate it.

Now, all that said, the Whipple is a nice inductor, Michael is a good guy, if you build a fresh board and use the Whipple I know where you could send the crusty old board and TDK, been wanting another wah with one.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

movinginslomo

well jeez now you have me wanting to stick with the TDK! I'll have to try it with the mods. Thanks for the info

I had always "assumed" the TDK to be a "lame" inductor, but maybe my wah is just worn out or assembled with off spec parts. It has a dunlop hotpotz 1 which I assume is a replacement as it's definitely a 70's wah. I always wanted that "cheesy" 70's wah sound.