News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Acoustic multi effect

Started by stevie1556, October 20, 2018, 09:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

Haven't been able to do much on this as I've had a bad case of man flu. But today I'm feeling a bit better so I've pulled my finger out and done a bit of work on this.

I've got my label designs done and marked the lines on the enclosure where I want the foot switch and top row of pots. I haven't got any transparency sheets here but I've got those A4 paper pouches for folders. Stuck the printout of the labels into one of them and marked out the drill points with a pen. It worked well, but the gap between the top pots and foot switch is a few mm too far apart. I'm going to adjust that in a bit and print it out so I can mark the drilling points.

I'm hoping writing this here will give me the motivation to get it all done, so today I'm planning on redoing the labels, marking out the new drill points on a plastic sheet and then transferring that to the enclosure. With this, I've also got to work out the spacing between each effect. This is providing work don't call me to go in. During the week I want to get the enclosure drilled, get to the print shop to get this new no film decal sheet printed on, then at the weekend I'm planning on getting round to my dad's to paint the enclosure and get it labelled up.

For lining up the labels, the plan is to drill the pilot holes at 3mm, then use the circles on the decals to line them up directly over the holes.

For the colour, I've got a lime green paint with sparkle bits in it. It's a bit bright, but I think it will really make it stand out.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

stevie1556

Made some more progress, although I realised another slight error that I made. I know the Ping reverb board is a different shape to the other boards and doesn't have board mounted pots. The thing I didn't notice was the pot controls are an extra 4mm wider then the other boards.

Ideally I wanted the pots to all be evenly spaced on the effects so I didn't want to move the pots and labels for them (I know it's 4mm and I'm being a bit OTT on it). I can't mount the board onto the pots anyway so I decided to keep the pots and labels spaced the same as the other effects. If I've worked it out right, I should be able to mount the board the to enclosure between the foot switch and the pots and have about 2mm spare.

I've managed to adjust the labels slightly, have to move the effect name, graphic and foot switch drill point up by 1.5mm. Normally I wouldn't have bothered, but there is a ridge inside the enclosure that's already making it pretty tight to get the foot switches in the right place, and I really don't want to have to be going at it with the Dremmel.

On the plus side, I've used the centre punch and marked out all the drill holes so I'll get the enclosure drilled with the pilot holes before work in a couple of days.

Using the plastic paper pocket for folder things worked well in principle, but they were too flimsy. While I've been sitting here writing this, I remembered that I've got the overhead projector transparancy sheets in my parents garage, I should have gone round there and used them as they would have been perfect for this.

stevie1556

Got the labels printed out today! I've got 2 of each printed out so if I make a mistake then I should be fine.

I've put a more detailed post in the decal thread that I started, and although they couldn't use the PDF files, they could photocopy the ones that I printed at home. It does look like they have good ink coverage, although I'd have preferred it they could have used the PDF files.

The enclosure will be drilled tomorrow, going to get it painted as well, but that depends on a few other things and the amount of time I'll have. Labels will follow shortly after.

stevie1556

I've managed to get over to my mum's house today to drill a bunch of 1590A enclosures and the multi effect enclosure. I was worried about it being hard to drill, but I used the drill press on a low speed and it went straight through it.

I'm going to get it painted up tomorrow when I goto my dad's as all my powder coating gear is in his barn. It's going to be bloody freezing so I'm not looking forward to it. I'm not sure how long it's going to need in the oven, 1590A enclosures I normally do for 25 minutes with 4 at a time. I'm guessing maybe 30-35 minutes due to the larger surface area. I can't decide which blue colour to use though, here is the 2 colours that I'm thinking of.

I seem to be missing one of my Dreamtime enclosures as I marked up 3 of them but only had 2 to drill. Really not sure where it could have gone to.

stevie1556

Update, found the missing box hiding under my coffee table! When I was marking the drill points and using the centre punch I was watching TV.