News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion L5 Build progress and questions

Started by Ekimneets, October 23, 2018, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

Quote from: Ekimneets on November 02, 2018, 07:26:35 PM

Or do I need to place a different value resistor in-between legs 1 and 2 & 2 and 3?
This looks to be correct, at least to direct measurement.

Yes, this.  Looks like you figured it out by yourself though. :)

Ekimneets

I'm finally learning to take baby steps mjg. It also helps that the search function is working.

-Mike
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

Ekimneets

Well, I finished the L5 build. Alas, I'm heartbroken, it's not working right. It's fine in bypass, but when you switch to channels 1/2 all LEDs are lit and there is no sound.

Unfortunately, I don't have time, at the moment, to troubleshoot.

I've got to finish packing and do the actual move.

Once I get settled in I'll check the components and especially for solder bridges. My hands would not stop shaking and it seems the most likely suspect for now.

Looks great though.

Catch you on the flip side.

-M

Typo'd from my iphone

ahiddentableau

That's unfortunate, but you'll get it going.  And I can give you a little reason for optimism: the standard bypass in the Aion build docs are supposed to work like that.  All lights are on.  It's really different, and I really don't know why he chose to do it that way, but so long as you followed the diagram in the docs it suggests that your bypass wiring is working properly.

So you just have to start by breaking out the old probe.  Sound clips coming in no time!

Ekimneets

Yeah, it looks like I'm finally going to break down and build a testing rig a la the tutorial here. I don't even want to think about tracking down a problem in this size build without that.

Thx for the heads ups about the bypass, maybe its not as catastrophic as I think it is. Hopefully there is a bridge or a wire I forgot to connect.

Thx, AHT

somnif

Also, may want to try some generic single op-amp in IC1, if you have any, just to make sure your surface mount job isn't the culprit.

And a test rig is easy, all you need is a breadboard and a few components to make a noise generator, then an aligator clip, some wire, a capacitor and a spare jack to make an audio probe.

This is a dirt simple noise generator I use:

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/white_noise_826.png (vero or breadboard it up, your choice)

And my ultra-high-tech audio probe (100nF cap)-

Hook the noise gen (or anything that will spit sound, radio, CD player, whatever) to the L5's input, switch the pedal on, then start poking the probe. Just start at the input jack and follow the circuit along point by point. I use headphones for this, but that's a personal preference

Ekimneets

Wow, thanks Somnif, I think I can handle that.

So, this is probably a stupid/obvious question, but it's really a variant of a continuity probe right?

-Mike

somnif

Quote from: Ekimneets on November 05, 2018, 07:36:41 PM
Wow, thanks Somnif, I think I can handle that.

So, this is probably a stupid/obvious question, but it's really a variant of a continuity probe right?

-Mike

Pretty much, you just keep poking, component by component, until you find the spot where no more noise makes it through. Only tricky part is reading the schematic to figure out the actual audio path(s) - which admittedly is a little daunting in the L5 with all its various channels, but the schematic will give you the road map to follow.

Ekimneets

Thx, now I just have to pack, move, unpack and set up shop. Should be a snap ::)

-Mike

Ekimneets

Well, it seems I was a little hasty about the pedal not working. I was really bothered when if didn't work.

I took my time with the build and checked the build documents frequently. So, I dug it out and turned it on. turns out I had to crank the master up. Not sure if this is just the pedal, just the pot, some Combo OR something complety different. 

I still need to do the setup, but what a relief that it's working. I'll post more after the 13th. Somnif, I'll still going to make that probe though. Thanks.

—Mike

ahiddentableau

That's a good catch with the master.  This pedal is great but it has a few...irregularities?  Some of the knobs work in a bit of a counterintuitive way.  The compressor is that way.  Make sure you turn it off when you first test, and then read the bit in the build docs about it to get a better sense of how it's supposed to work.  If memory serves, the distortion trimmer can be finnicky too.  Make sure it's not too low when you fire the thing up.  Between that and somnif's patented EZ-probe, you should be in good shape.

Good luck with the move, neets.  Those damn things are always a big job.

Ekimneets